Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Feature Suggestion: Keep object name for the imported mesh  (Read 1364 times)

Haider of Sweden

• Portfolio
Feature Suggestion: Keep object name for the imported mesh
« on: January 03, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »
When I import a mesh from the library, it renames the mesh to something like "_forest_library_CHB256I"

There are a couple of downsides and one of them i s that you can't easily track the original MAX file if you don't have a catalogue, or an existing Forest Pack object with the library name (and yet, the library name might be different than the original file-name).
I propose to leave the original filename, or give the user an option to have it that way. I don't know if there is an essential underlying reason why the name is like "_forest_library_CHB256I"
//Haider

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Feature Suggestion: Keep object name for the imported mesh
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »
Hi, objects are renamed in this way to avoid duplicated names. We cannot guarantee that objects are unique, specially for third party libraries.
If not, duplicated names would cause many problems, specially when objects are merged in the scene.

Names are generated using an unique identifier, based on the name of the library item.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Haider of Sweden

• Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
Hi!

I understand, but then one could have the original file name, plus an additional suffix that works as a unique identifier.

Let me take a real example
I have the XForgPlants Europe 1 library. From there, I insert the "Austrian Pine 1"
XML data from the library:
<item class="maxobject">
    <code>EU08</code>
    <name lang="english">Austrian Pine 1</name>
    <name lang="latin">Pinus nigra 1</name>
    <family>Tree, evergreen conifer</family>
    <description>Also known as European Black Pine, The Austrian Black Pine is often used as pioneer species on wasted areas, because it tolerates arid soils. Although not a mountain tree, it is cold-tolerant. It needs a lot of vertical light, but can stand lateral density, so woods of Black Pine are often dense with trunks. It is called ?black? because of the dark needles.</description>
    <bitmap>EU08a_pers.jpg</bitmap>
    <maxfile>$(X-04_PATH)\Models\EU08_Pinus_nigra_Austrian_Pine\EU08a.max</maxfile>
    <object>*</object>
  </item>

The mesh name in the original file is EU08a01

When I import the tree from the Forest Pack Library, it names it "Austrian Pine 1" which is correct.
However, I don't know what .MAX file it is if I don't dig in the XML file.
And last, but not least, the name of the mesh is _forest_library_IIZWI2I and that was the reason of this post. This name does not make any sense. I cannot find a logical link between this name and the XML entry from the library.

In short, my suggestion is that it keeps the original name, EU08a01 and adds whatever it needs, prefixes and suffixes. For example: _forest_lib_EU08a01_IIZWI2
//Haider

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:52:17 AM »
I guess your suggestion would be a solution. I'll discuss it with my team, to be sure there are not undesired side effects.
For example, if a same library item is imported both with the old and new method (i'm thinking on modifying old scenes), it would create duplicate objects in the library layer.

Added to the wishlist. Thanks.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software