Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Few features...  (Read 26887 times)

BB1610

Re: Few features...
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2009, 03:29:32 AM »
Also if distribution map could work with your ColorEdge plugin...

-R

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2009, 11:23:27 AM »
Density/Size fallof working also on bitmaps,not just on splines.

But what value would to be used to evaluate the density/size ? (for splines we use the distance to the spline's edge)

Also if distribution map could work with your ColorEdge plugin...

I think that is not possible, because the way that ColorEdge works (it's hard to explain... max programming stuff)
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

BB1610

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2009, 11:59:04 AM »
But what value would to be used to evaluate the density/size ? (for splines we use the distance to the spline's edge)

It would be the pixel range - RGB 255/255/255 = 100% of density , 128/128/128 = 50% an so on ... . For example imagine white rectangle with feathered edges.

I think that is not possible, because the way that ColorEdge works (it's hard to explain... max programming stuff)
I expected that, but I hoped it would be somehow possible. After `studying` the results of ColorEdge - I saw, that the results are strictly based on the triangulation of the mesh, which is somehow different of GradientEdge ( maybe you know that plugin - it has the same purpouse ) which generates more correct results not so strictly based on the triangulation, but nonetheless, the GradientEdge is somehow compatible with another generator - VrayScatter ( less powerfull than FP imho ) - so that`s why I hoped that ColorEdge - since it`s yours creation, would work :)

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 08:01:39 PM »
It would be the pixel range - RGB 255/255/255 = 100% of density , 128/128/128 = 50% an so on ... . For example imagine white rectangle with feathered edges.

I see it used as scale map, but for density... what is the difference of using a gray-level distribution map ? You can adjust the density modifying the Threshold parameter.

About ColorEdge, it needs some improvements and we had planned to rewrite it from some time ago, but we must first finish the current projects. If we release a new version, we will try to make it compatible with Forest.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

BB1610

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2009, 06:00:36 PM »
Another one:
To incorporate Z-offset from `geometry` rollout to `transform` , to specify ranges for it too.

BB1610

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2009, 08:50:38 PM »
And here I go again :
f you have - for example 2 trees - `tree A` is 3x bigger than `tree B`, if you want to make them equal dense you have to raise the density - this leads to that the B trees will be scattered less than A or vice versa, the solution will be to raise the density until the smaller of trees will be at desired density, but then the density of A trees would be too much - the solution is the collision detection, but collsion detection is very slow when using on large landscapes, so is there another way to make equal density of trees with variable sizes ?

EDIT:
I propose another distribution mode, based on bounding box of geometry.
So it will work like this : for B tree use distribution map with these params : pixels=100 / units=1000m, and for the A tree would be set pixels=33 ( because the A tree bounding box is 3x bigger than  B tree ) and units=1000m
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:09:02 PM by BB1610 »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2009, 05:31:06 PM »

Well, without using collision detection you would to decrease the probablity of 'tree A' from 50% to a lower value, until to get the desired density. Alternatively, you can create two Forest objects sharing the same spline and adjust the density of each one.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

BB1610

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2009, 09:01:33 AM »
Well, without using collision detection you would to decrease the probablity of 'tree A' from 50% to a lower value, until to get the desired density.
But that will change the whole distribution ( placement at area ). Less probability=less area too.

Alternatively, you can create two Forest objects sharing the same spline and adjust the density of each one.
Well, thats doable, but very unpractical, if you have a few trees, okay, but with many (20+) it would be pain to make this way.  :-\

---

So then, do you think that the automatic density based on meshes bounding boxes would be possible ?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2009, 09:14:04 AM »
So then, do you think that the automatic density based on meshes bounding boxes would be possible ?

It would be very difficult to implement in the current version. We like to add new scattering modes in the future, but this will take some time.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

BB1610

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2009, 09:39:43 AM »