Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Vray Displacement  (Read 5409 times)

thanulee

• Yell Images
Vray Displacement
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »
Hi,
Is there an easy way to use vray displacement on areas? Are some steps that i have to reproduce from the manual everytime i need this cause i cant remember em.
I d prefer a more str8 forward solution like, "place map" "press update"
Will that be possible in future versions? thanks

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Vray Displacement
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »
Hi, i'm afraid currently this is the only way to use V-Ray displacement on surfaces (described here).

It's problematic to implement a simpler way, for several reasons. The used method is very tricky, and some values are not directly available from the plugin.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

FC1888

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »
Sorry to butt in on this one and since it doesn't mention which 3D program you are using, I could be wasting your time.. But I use 3DSMax and for surfaces like a ground plane. I would use the 3DSMax Displace modifier.

Yes you need to have sufficient subdivision (polycount) on the surface to get decent quality, but the displace modifier, physically displaces geometry, rather than only at render time. Vray Displacement is a tricky thing to work with when you can't physically see the displacement, until you do a render. So I tend to use the 3DSMax displace modifier for simple stuff such as ground planes, water surfaces etc. and VrayDiplacementMod for trickier stuff, especially when the object has corners, because the vray mod, has controls such as keep continuity and tight bounds.

thanulee

• Yell Images
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 10:54:31 AM »
Ty guys. Ye i use it too other times, but when i got objects like megascans it not possible, i need the vraydisp for that. Thanks!!

CJ3766

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:35:20 PM »
Hello Paul/ Itoo
Just one question.
The sample file that is available on the "Effects Examples" page, [displacementEffect.max]
Is it a ready to use, all-settings-enabled demo file? i.e just open file and render?
The reason I'm asking is, it doesn't work.
I'm using Max 2016, Vray 3.6 and FP 5.40.
I followed all the steps in one of my own personal projects, but cant get the twigs to follow the Megascans surface.

Edit: Just saw the video [Introduction to Forest Effects], you know the last step in which the scattered objects suddenly "jump" up in the viewport, when the "amount" controller is picked?
Yeah that "jump" just doesn't happen.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:23:59 PM by CJ3766 »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
Hi,

There were some changes done recently on the "Place items on a displaced surface" effect. To use the actual version:
  • Instance the map used for displacement to Forest's Material > Get Color from Map slot under the Modify panel
  • Check the As Texture option
  • Go to the Effects roll-out and Load the Scatter on Displaced Surfaces effect or Import the New_Displacement.eff file in case you're using older FP version.
  • Select the DisplaceAmount parameter and click on the Pick button. Select the Amount track from the V-Ray Displacement (or equivalent) modifier (alternatively you can enter a value manually by using the New_Displacement_values.eff file instead)
Attaching a sample scene.

Hope that helps, but in case of any further question or doubt, please don't hesitate to contact us. Have a great day.

Best regards,

CJ3766

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 09:47:24 PM »
Thank you Michal!
Recreated the same thing in a new file.
The in built [version 5.40] effects file didn't work, the new one that you attached.. worked.
Nice to see this effect's steps being simplified gradually.
Hope to see it fully integrated [and idiot proof] , single click "use surface displacement" in future builds.
Thanks again.

QK2975

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »
Hi there,

I too have noticed that the in-built version of the displaceAmount seems to be playing up?
My 3dmax is running FP Pro 5.4.1.
When I pick the controller for amount the forest objects disappear, leaving the forest gizmo. I downloaded the sample scene you provided. It worked fine, but it did not have the falloff parameters in the effects list. So I tried re-applying the the effect from the effects list and the same problem occurs.

Tried few times but no joy. Any idea what going on? I presume the method has not changed again within the last couple months.

Thank-you
Kind regards,
brendan

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 01:43:21 PM »
Hi Brendan,

It might be related to the AltitudeLimitTop / AltitudeLimitBottom limit(s) and I would suggest you double check valules of these parameters. Attaching a sample scene.

Best regards,

QK2975

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 05:07:42 AM »
Thank-you very much. I understand better now.
sorry for the basic question that had a glaringly obvious solution! ??? :o