Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest Pro 4 & 3Dconnexion Mouse  (Read 3740 times)

VR

• Virtual Resolution
Forest Pro 4 & 3Dconnexion Mouse
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »
Hi guys,

Just updated everything to the latest forest, and I seem to have trouble navigating the scene using a 3dconnexion mouse (Space Navigator)

The viewport freezes when trying to move around when forest objects are in the scene. Hiding some objects does the trick, but its not the best method.

I did some testing and have found that if you turn on freeze in the forest object menu, then turn off again, everything is fine an back to normal (as Fpp was)

Tested the scene on another pc with a 3d mouse and the same happens.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

-jaime

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Forest Pro 4 & 3Dconnexion Mouse
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »

I'm sorry, but i have not idea what may be the problem. If that help, Forest does not use any custom method to navigate the scene, it relies on the standard Max controllers. I think it would be a Max issue, but unfortunately we have not a 3d mouse here to test it. :-\

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

TL1895

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
I have a space pilot and don't get this issue here...I know sometimes my SP acts funny if things in the scene
are far from the origin or have pivots that are far away from the geometry...not sure about thNavigator ,though...

DK3380

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »
Hi,
I stumbled on a similar problem with the space navigator and the new FP and I think I found the cause (not sure if it's on itoo's or on 3dcnx's side)
I had a scene in which all the trees were set to "auto assign to active view" - that way they where facing each camera at render time, while allowing me for a smooth navigation with the Space Navigator in perspective view - forest pack wasn't considering the 3dxstudio perspective as an active view and therefore the trees didn't move (orient themselves).
Since updating to 4.0.3, my viewport became really slow with lots of lags, even when selecting objects. I didnt' realize at first it was related to the forest trees since they were on a turned off layer. Since max's behaviour was driving me nuts, I starded to test everything and got the the trees - now they were trying to follow the active view - normal perspective with SpaceNav navigation - and that took a looooong time. Apparently they tried to do the same thing even when the layer was off. Anyway, in the end I turned the "auto assign to active view" off and the perspective navigation smothness returned to normal.
Unfortunately this is only a workaround, and since we might be a minority using both Forest Pack and a 3d connexion mouse...we might never know what actually happened.

Hope it helps,

Tudor

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »
Thanks for the information. We use a Max event to detect when the active view changes, so Forest objects can update their references for "auto assign to active view".

I think for some reason the space navigator is triggering this event continuously, and therefore forcing to rebuild Forest.

We will write to 3Dconnexion, although if they are a large company may be difficult to contact with developers.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

DK3380

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »
Thank you for the quick response, I'll try to post the issue on the 3dconnexion forum as well, maybe it will help.

MN3180

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »
Hi,

Just to let you know I am suffering the same problem. It's going to hamper this phase of my project quite a bit. Is there a way I can globally turn on and off 'auto assign to active view' as I have around 40 forest packs in my scene.

Thanks

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 06:35:49 PM »
Yes, you can use the "Copy Parameters" button in the Camera rollout.

Besides turning off "Limit to Visibility", disable "Auto assign to active view" and Clear the assigned camera, before using "Copy Parameters". In this way, all references to camera will be cleared.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

MN3180

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 10:33:36 AM »
Ah! great, thanks!

MN3180

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 12:29:06 PM »
Hmm, I'm still having problems, it appears 'Auto assign to active view' and 'Limit to visibility' parameters aren't copied.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 02:16:04 PM »
It works fine here. Please, be sure you are using the right button: there is a button to copy only the Camera assignment, and other to copy all parameters (just below Look-At values). You must use this one.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

MN3180

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 04:01:19 PM »
Oh okay thanks, sorry didn't spot that.