Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Placing 1 tree pr. subobject - best practice?  (Read 883 times)

JB2041

Placing 1 tree pr. subobject - best practice?
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:14:37 PM »
Hi

We often get Rhino files w. placeholders for specific placement of trees from the architects. I.e. for every sphere, there should be placed 1 tree.

When we import from rhino (as dwg) we combine the objects on the same layer. So now I basically have a single mesh consisting of a lot of individual spheres. If I try and scatter trees on this object, I get the attached result. With trees being placed a bit random on each sphere. Some times more than one pr sphere and at times none (can't seem to hit a sweet spot).

What would be the best way to just scatter 1 tree pr sphere in this case? Any nifty trick I have missed?

Rokas

Re: Placing 1 tree pr. subobject - best practice?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:17:28 PM »
There is Reference Mode exactly for this situation.

Each sphere should be separate object with centered pivot.

Hope this helps.
Rokas

JB2041

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 01:30:52 PM »
man I love how fast your support is in here! Thank you Rokas I will for sure give that a try. Didn't even know it existed! :)

JB2041

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 02:50:44 PM »
Hi again

If I just create new spheres (or any other objects for that matter), place them around the scene and use them as reference, it works.

If I detach all the spheres I imported from rhino (which was now just 1 object). It does not.

FP just scatters 1 single object in what appears to be the common pivot point as if the spheres had still been attached. They are however detached and had their pivot place to the center of each.

Screenshot attached and sample scene here: https://we.tl/t-dJnJSih6oG

I used soulburn's detacher script to detach the green spheres.

I have left another sphere object in the scene (red) where they are all still attached for you to try your magic :)

Rokas

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 02:59:23 PM »
Select all spheres and do the following:

Rokas

JB2041

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 03:54:28 PM »
Hi Rokas

As you can see in the screenshot and in the max file i sent, pivot has already been centered. But I tried doing it again as you had shown = still does not work :/

Can you get it to work in the scene I linked to via the wetransfer link (it said scene was too big to attach here on forum, even when zipped).

Rokas

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 04:02:46 PM »
Hi

When something does not work as expected it is always healthy to rest XForm:

This time too it helps.
Rokas