Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest and vray 1.49.03  (Read 12430 times)

Nildo Essa

Forest and vray 1.49.03
« on: August 11, 2006, 04:12:20 PM »
Hi...

I have a Huge project im working on with tons of trees...wanted to use the vraysun to iluminate my scene...my trees dont cast shadows right...  >:( :(, they appear all squared out!

using 2.2

Thx
Nildo

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Forest and vray 1.49.03
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 06:25:17 PM »
Dear user,

Have you picked the light in the 'Shadow' rollout ?
Is the option 'Hide planes in viewport' disabled ? (it must be disabled to work with VRay)
Are you a using material based on 'Planes Material' ? (Forest needs 'Planes Material' to cast raytraced shadows)

If all these are ok, please send us the scene to support@itoosoft.com for checking. You may delete non-essential objects, we only need Forest, Planes and related objects (splines, lights, cameras and so).

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

GF2719

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 04:20:32 AM »
Hi,

Iam presently having the same problems. Using Max 8 and vray 1.4703

I have a plane material containing a multi-sub material with 4 different tree maps (vray mat) set up within it.
I have tried xshadow in the direct light but this casts rectangular shadows with blotches like a distorted shadown map that dont correspond with with the trees

Do I need to have a multisub with standard materials instead? I wouldnt have thought this would have made a difference. Any ideas?

1.I ahve picked the light in the shadow rollout
2.The 'Hide planes in viewport' disabled
3.Im using a plane material as well

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 06:04:24 PM »
Hello,

Iam presently having the same problems. Using Max 8 and vray 1.4703

I have a plane material containing a multi-sub material with 4 different tree maps (vray mat) set up within it.

No, that doesn't work. Multi-sub materials must contains Planes Material, this way:  Multi-sub --> Planes Material -- > Standard Material

I have tried xshadow in the direct light but this casts rectangular shadows with blotches like a distorted shadown map that dont correspond with with the trees

I've done some tests with VRay + XShadow and it works, but as VRay is a renderer raytrace you will get best results using raytraced shadows or VRayShadow.

Anyway, if you want to use XShadow, be sure to read before our FAQ. The shadows based in maps (as XShadow) need that some parameters be adjusted carefully (as light's hotspot, map's size):

http://www.itoosoft.com/english/menu.php?id=forest_faq#14

Do I need to have a multisub with standard materials instead? I wouldnt have thought this would have made a difference. Any ideas?

Not exactly, i suggest you use Sub-Mat --> Planes Material --> Standard Mat. Planes Material is needed always you use raytraced shadows (or VRayShadow). There are other combinations that may work too as: Sub-Mat --> Planes Material --> VRay Mat, but you may get some unexpected results.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software