Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest doesn't adopt AutoCAD 3DFACE levels as surface  (Read 4737 times)

Peter Cook

Forest doesn't adopt AutoCAD 3DFACE levels as surface
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:41:16 AM »
I'm trying to adopt surface levels from an AutoCAD drawing containing 3DFACE's and it doesn't work.  If I import a 3D solid from AutoCAD it works fine for the solid but not the surface.  If I import the surface using a different format via a plugin for Max and it builds the surface within Max, it works fine but I'd prefer to import the surface from AutoCAD because the other method is really slow to import and update whereas an AutoCAD import is quite quick.

Am I doing something wrong?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Forest doesn't adopt AutoCAD 3DFACE levels as surface
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »

This is a common issue with the AutoCAD surfaces, because the normals are not well aligned. Apply a "Normal" modifier to it, trying different combinations of the "Unify" and "Flip" parameters. Sometimes, it's needed to use the "Reset XForm" as well (find it in the Utilities panel).

Also remember to update the Forest surface data, clicking in the "Update" button (Surface rollout).

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Peter Cook

Re: Forest doesn't adopt AutoCAD 3DFACE levels as surface
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:37:16 AM »

This is a common issue with the AutoCAD surfaces, because the normals are not well aligned. Apply a "Normal" modifier to it,
Thanks Carlos, that was a winner.  So simple.  I think it must be the way I'm generating the triangles this time around as I hadn't seen this before.  Guess this happens 12 months between projects and there's been a change of design software  :D