Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Unable to Determine Object Names  (Read 57 times)

leejk

Unable to Determine Object Names
« on: April 17, 2024, 09:03:03 PM »
Hello,

So this is a 2 part question I suppose. Because the UI does NOT show tooltips, which it should because they would be VERY helpful, when you have geometry in the list with long names, like is generated from the library presets, you cannot tell which ones they are. In this example somehow the Name field got populated, which does allow you to at least scroll your cursor around to see the whole filename, but after it is named you can't determine what object it represents in the scene. So IMO this field causes more harm than it would ever do good. Is there anyway to determine what object the geometry entry in the list represents in the scene?

Secondly, what are the copy and paste buttons supposed to do? At first I thought they would allow me to copy objects in the geometry list and paste them into another FP object, but that does not work. Nor do they copy/paste objects in the same FP object.

thx

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Unable to Determine Object Names
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:29:47 AM »
Hi,

Some time ago, we removed the tooltips to minimize the UI load and included options to hide rollups. However, you should be able to see the full name when hovering over the item in the Geometry list. As for the Copy & Paste icons, they are not intended for use between Forest objects, but rather within the same Forest object. They mainly serve to "duplicate" the item and readjust the settings, and they appear to work well in this context. Thank you for your feedback - it is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

leejk

Re: Unable to Determine Object Names
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:28:03 PM »
Hello,

Thank you for response. I do see a tooltip in the geometry list, but there is still a problem that maybe I did not explain correctly. If the Name field for the geometry gets changed to something else, then the gemometry list name gets changed to match that. However the Custom Object field still uses the original name of the object in the scene, but if it is a long name like I mentioned before, then there is no tooltip shown when you hover over it. And there is no way to see which object in the scene it is referencing. So some UI cleanup/fix there could be done. A tooltip though would solve the issue and this was probably the original design intent anyway by developers.

Regarding the copy/paste issue, the Interface area in the docs should be updated to explain that further. I looked again this morning and it is explained a little better in the Procedures area.