Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: 3dsMax + Vray - Crash when there is no free network license  (Read 2104 times)

HP3623

3dsMax + Vray - Crash when there is no free network license
« on: April 28, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »
Hello,

since we upgraded to latest Forest Pack 5 version, 3dsMax crashes when there is no available network license! In the old Forest Pack version I just got the message that Forest Pack can't render, you hit ok and it renders just without Forest Pack objects.

In the vray log, I can see something like "unhandeld exception ...". We got 3dsMax Design 2015 + Vray 3.30.05.

Other than that, it would be great if Forest Pack would render on workstations even without a network license, not editing is ok, but not rendering is a bit annoying.

Regards,
Marcel

EDIT:
This is the error in vray log:
error: UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: Scanning scene
Last marker is at ./src/vrenderlight.cpp, line 494: Exiting VRenderLightObj::init()
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:19:44 AM by HP3623 »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: 3dsMax + Vray - Crash when there is no free network license
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »
Hi,

We've been able to trace down the source of this issue and the fix will be included in the next update. We have no final date set yet, but hopefully it'll be during next week (there are still few things we want to tweak). Thanks for your comprehension.

Regarding your render nodes question: we don't have plans to change the licensing scheme in the near future. It´s default 3ds Max licensing system detecting when is it's working in interactive mode, so the license is needed and when not. For example, when I´ll want to open any 3ds Max's scene just to render without any edition of it's content, the 3ds Max will ask for the license to launch itself. There is exception while using network rendering so the 3ds Max session is not interactive and managed by the host. The same behaviour maintain our software.

Please note, that we offer unlimited number of render nodes. You can compare yourself with another packages (renderer engines or other plug-ins) if this is generous enough or not (most of them is charging also by each render nodes offering some volume discounts). Also, for these purposes you can use the Forest Tools feature available (useful if you need to use renderers not natively supported by the plug-in or provide a file that can be used without the need of Forest Pack to be installed).

Best regards,

HP3623

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:23:08 AM »
Thanks for the technical clear up of the license system, didn't know that its working this way. Now makes sense to me that it isn't that easy to change.

Regarding the error, good to see that you already aware of this. Looking forward to the next update.

HP3623

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 05:18:01 PM »
Hello,

I would like to know when the updated version will be published. This bug is really starting to annoying me, because there is no warning in advance, if there is a free license available. I already crashed several scenes! In one scene even after disabling all railclone and forest pack objects, I still got that message and crash.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:21:18 AM »
Hi, i'm afraid the update will take some days more, because we want to include the compatibility for Max 2017.

Anyway, i just sent you by e-mail a custom patch of FP 5.0.5 which fixes this issue. Please, tell me if it works well.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

HP3623

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 12:58:05 PM »
Thanks for sending the quick fix. Tested it and its working so far.