Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest Pack and VRay IPR support  (Read 3692 times)

MH4288

Forest Pack and VRay IPR support
« on: November 24, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
Hi,

simple question. When I render with Vray IPR, its working, but when I change something on Forest object, whole max crash. Will you add a support for this?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Forest Pack and VRay IPR support
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »
Hi, we made many changes in Forest to support IPR, but since this render mode is not natively supported in Max, such problems may occur.
Basically it's a continuous trial and error process. For each fail, we try to reproduce it and include a workaround.

Anyway, there are not reported issues with IPR lately. Are you using FP 5.4.1 or other version ?

If possible, please send us the minidump when Max crashes. It may be very helpful to find the problem.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

MH4288

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
I have 5.4.0. For 5.4.1 I have to renew my subscription. I have no problem with that, but when It didnt solve my problem then it will be useless to me and I can buy subscription after half a year when new max come out and not now.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »
I understand. There are not changes related with IPR between 5.4.0 and 5.4.1 (because there were not problems reported), so it should not be a difference in this case.

When you get a crash, please send us the minidump. It will very helpful to diagnose the problem.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

MH4288

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:37:39 AM »
I get back to this and its simple. Whatever change I made to forest object, max crash. Doesnt matter if I change size, position, materials, colors, camera and so on. Its just crasing. Without forest, IPR never crash, so its definitely related to Forest object.

IPR is great, much faster working. But when I work on exterior, I cant use it because of Forest :(

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 03:41:54 PM »
We have fixed some things in Forest 6 beta to improve the stability with V-Ray IPR.

But this is a long run of trial and error, because interactive renderers are not supported by default in Max, and plugins were not designed for that.
When a new crash is reported, we usually add a specfic workaround to fix it.

If you try FP6 beta and get a crash with IPR, please send us the minidump. It will help us to find and fix the problem.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Coastalvis

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 11:28:07 PM »
Im just wondering if you have tests in place using Vray IPR? surely it should be a feature that is supported? Not sure why its down to users to send in bug reports for you to fix this as its completely broken using IPR. Its like walking a tightrope using Forestpack and Vray ipr. One wrong move and its crashes 3dsmax completely. Surely this isnt acceptable?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »
Unfortunately there are not automatic tests which we can use for IPR, because crashes are more likely to occur when scene is handled interactively, and everything depends of the current scene's state.
I mean, using a same scene and configuration, it would crash just because a render thread runs a millisecond before of after, and that is unpredictable.

Said that, we have not received lately problems with IPR, so we assumed with the latest fixes it was working reasonable well.
We'll do some manual tests again, but please note we cannot test all possible combinations of Max, V-Ray and scene components.

A simple minidump sent by you or other customer, may solve a problem that otherwise, we never know that it exists.

Thanks for your understanding.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software