Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Efficient use of multiple FPP objects  (Read 1276 times)

Chulit

Efficient use of multiple FPP objects
« on: October 30, 2014, 03:56:55 PM »
Hi,
when making elaborated trees, bushes, and ther elements groups on panoramic images, i alway wonder the most effective method -resources wise- to group the different models within the FPP objects.

Wil try to elaborate more here: imagine you have to cover some garden, and we are focusing on just the bushes now. There are say 4 kinds of bushes you have to use, and several sectors on the garden, but not every bush type is used in each of the sections; and different combinations coul go toghether on different sections.
I would normally make one main FPP object with the 4 bush types, and through different spline or paint areas and selecting the models for each area will cover the intended design.
But this has the disadvantage of sharing the same global scale, material tint, and transform variations through all the areas fo the same models (even if we can tune them via scale or threshold distribution per area). Normally i would instinctly resign some flexibility over these settings, unconsciously thinking that making more FPP objects would hit performance even with the same final number of instances delivered at render time.

Can you please confirm or deny this, and give some hints on advantages or disadvantages on distributing the same number of models over one or mode FPP objects (even if they were identical models on several FPP objets, as to satisfy different say tinting settings on several FPP obj?

Thanks in advance

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Efficient use of multiple FPP objects
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 05:54:17 PM »
You can use multiple Forest objects safely. There is not performance loss, because all data which may require more resources is shared between all Forest instances.
That includes geometry, surfaces, point-cloud, rendering data and others. Futhermore, access to these elements is as efficient as possible, using caches and other acceleration structures.

So, there is not benefit using a single Forest object, except that you can handle all items from an unique panel.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Chulit

Re: Efficient use of multiple FPP objects
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:21:58 PM »
Thanks Carlos for your answer,
will confidently change my workflow then.
Best regards