Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Feature request: manually animate position/rotation/scale of individual Trees  (Read 1454 times)

Ruud3DV

Feature request: ability to manually animate position/rotation/scale of individual Trees placed with Tree Editor.

I'm using the Tree Editor to place trees and gardenplants in archviz scenes for the creation of still images. Each frame is another viewpoint so I can easily render 10 different viewpoints.
For each viewpoint I'd like to be able to modify/animate the exact position/rotation/scale of the individual Forest items for an optimal image. This would be a huge timesaver.

Can this be added or can this be done by using Effects?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Hi,

A recommendable work-flow would be to use the Detach - Detach Selection feature to handle these in a separate Forest object(s) (which can be easily modified / copied) in combination with use of 3ds max's State Sets feature. Such tool should give you easily the flexibility needed for multiple cameras / views. We'll evaluate a possible way of an easier implementation for future releases.

Best regards,

Ruud3DV

Thanks for the reply! Didn't notice the Detach Selection yet, I can use it together with Forest Instanciate to turn it into an animatable object.

Is it possible to add a button 'Detach as geometry' to do this in one step? Ie, the selected Forest Trees will be replaced by the original (custom) geometry with the current position/rotation/scale and are not part of a Forest object anymore?
Or can this be done with a script?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Hi,

Well, as the Forest Tools utility (you can find it under Utilities - More ... - Forest Tools) offers several options how these instances (and the "source Forest object") will be treated, having these two steps "separated" probably gives you more control over the whole process and avoids unwanted surprises.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, we'll think about it. Just let me point out, that our intention would be to try to simplify the UI, as it already might look for some users quite complex.

Best regards,