Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Creating hedges following path  (Read 2182 times)

suppenhuhn

Creating hedges following path
« on: March 26, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »
Hi,

i have a problem with creating a smooth hedge. I'm using the HD Plant model "bush trimmed" with the tree editor function:  follow along path.

The problem is that i have a 3m height difference along the path. But the bushes are not aligned correctly to the path - the hedge is "stepped" along this path ( each step ist one bush with it's length of ca. 2m )

Is there a way to fix this and make the bush following the path aligned ?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:02:57 AM by suppenhuhn »
iToo has probably the best support & community i know !!

I'm using it with Max 2019 & Vray 6

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Creating hedges following path
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
Hi,

There are several ways how "allign" the model you are using to follow the path.

1) After distribution with Creation Tools you can rotate them "manually" in Transform tab (by putting the angle corresponding to the height difference). Please check attached screenshots.

2) You can create a Surface following the spline (for example using centred Outline function in Edit Spline, then Edit Poly modifier and map it by face using UVW map modifier). Then by creating new Forest object based on this surface distribute the object over it using UV Mode. In this case by putting 0 value in Direction the object will be always alligned to it's normal. Then by adjusting Density in Distribution Map tweak the final look.

Personally I'll prefer the second option as if the curve is changing the angle the geometry will maintain the normal direction.

Hope it helps you. By the way in this case you'll archive better results using very simple definition with RailClone. Feel free to do some quick test with Lite version. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:24:55 PM by Michal Karmazín »

suppenhuhn

Re: Creating hedges following path
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:08:50 PM »
Thank you for the answer! I've already solved it with RailClone Pro ;-) The control for repeating the model is way way way better than with the density map with Forest Pro.

Just thought why don't try all trees and hedges with Forest Pro
iToo has probably the best support & community i know !!

I'm using it with Max 2019 & Vray 6