Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Intersections in geometry while scattering with Itoo Forest  (Read 4373 times)

FP1509

Intersections in geometry while scattering with Itoo Forest
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:58:33 AM »
Hi there,

I wanted to know how to remove intersections while scattering geometry with itoo forest..

This is occurring especially with gravels which can be noticed in images with high resolution,

Could someone help?

I have attached an image...

Thanks in advance :)

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Intersections in geometry while scattering with Itoo Forest
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »
Hi,

I'm afraid that's rather unavoidable with scatters. To completely prevent intersections you would need to use a physics simulation which Forest Pack does not employ because the plugin is highly optimised for speed, and a simulations are just too slow for scattering over a large area.

That said, the individual circular patches used by the presets were created using physics, but as we can see from your screen shots, it's where the patches overlap that they intersect. This is difficult to avoid while maintaining a contiguous surface.

If the ground is flat, one option to minimise intersections could be to make square patches designed to tiles in all directions, then use a Full distribution pattern to lock them together like a jigsaw. Repetition might be more visible, but it could be disguised by randomising materials using Forest Colour and rotating the patches in 90 degree increments.

If the camera is very close you could also try mixing a physics simulation for the foreground with a patch based approach further from the camera. This may even be easier in the future because, though it's not available yet, Forest Pack 6 will support scattering using particles.

I'm sorry I can't give you an easy solution for this one, but I hope that helps a bit. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,

Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Rokas

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »
scattering using particles
OMG. please explain, maybe video demonstration?
Rokas

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
Hey Rokas!

Basically it will allow you to place an instance on a particle created with PFlow (or others I guess). It's a live link, so if the particle is animated, so is the geometry.

No videos yet I'm afraid, but you should be able to test it in a beta soon  ;)

Cheers!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

FP1509

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:58:53 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies.. Thanks :)

OB

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »
as an option you could simulate 2-3 "patches" of stones with physics. Clean edges, so they will blend without intersections. And scatter with FP or RC