Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Is something wrong with the “Point Cloud” display mode?  (Read 1737 times)

cc8boy

• I'll do my best.Welcome to www.c7design.cn .
    • C7design
Is something wrong with the “Point Cloud” display mode?
« on: January 15, 2015, 07:18:59 AM »
I had a scene contains many Xmeshloader objects and some forest objects, see my attachments.
1.   The forest objects were all in “Point Cloud” display mode. When all the Xmeshloader objects in “mesh” display mode, the forest objects would appear normally in the viewports.
2.   The forest objects were all in “Point Cloud” display mode. When all the Xmeshloader objects in “vertex” display mode, the forest objects disappeared in the viewports.
3.   When I set the forest objects to “Proxy” display mode, the forest objects appeared again. But when I set them back to “Point cloud” display mode, the forest objects disappeared again.
Is the “Point Cloud” display mode in FP pro 4.2.4 incompatible with the “Vertex” display mode in Xmeshloader ?
(MAX2012 64bit DirectX9 display mode, FP pro 4.2.4, GTX 770 display card)
We are working hard in virtual effects in 3DSMAX. Welcome to our website in China.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Is something wrong with the “Point Cloud” display mode?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:44:43 AM »
Yes, this problem is caused by XMesh:

In order to generate the point cloud, Forest request to each Custom Object its render mesh. The faces and vertices of this mesh are used to compute the dots.
But in "Vertex" mode XMesh doesn't generate a valid mesh (probably it uses its own render method), so it's not possible to generate the point cloud.

I'm afraid there is not much we can do about it.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

cc8boy

• C7design
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:10:03 PM »
I suggest that you can add a feature about using custom objects in the current scene as the display proxy object. The display proxy objects in the default droplist may be too limited.
Using the custom object as display proxy objects are far more accuracy than using such as the Boxes, the Cones, the Tiny Boxes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:11:19 PM by cc8boy »
We are working hard in virtual effects in 3DSMAX. Welcome to our website in China.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 01:46:05 PM »
Agreed. Added to the wishlist.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

cc8boy

• C7design
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 07:45:19 AM »
In my opinion, there must be two kind of custom proxies objects.
For example,

1. Tree1_rendermesh       Tree1_size_detection_proxy        Tree1_display_proxy
2. Tree2_rendermesh       Tree2_size_detection_proxy        Tree2_display_proxy

...and so on

I hope you can understand what I suggest.