Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to Globally override lighting on one Forest?  (Read 1531 times)

RobH2

• Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a bit
    • NVision4D
Is it possible to Globally override lighting on one Forest?
« on: February 17, 2019, 08:58:51 PM »
I am using an IBL lighting setup in Vray Next and have the overall lighting like I want it for all meshes and non-forest objects. However, all of my grass Forests are blown out. If I lower the light so that the grass look good, the whole scene is too dark, like twilight.

Is there a way to globally override the lighting intensity on Forests individually? I could tweak the Multi-materials but some of them have 40 textures attached so that's not efficient. I could render a mask and modify it but they are so blown out that by the time I modified that, I'd get lots of artifacts. I could have a 2nd VRay Dome and include just the grass but then I'm calculating all the rays for two Dome lights. That's not very efficient.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong in my lighting but I don't think so. I have an 8K (12-stop) HDRI in a VRay HDRI map attached to a VRay Dome as my light source.

I've attached an image. All of my nice Forest Pro grass (from the Plant Library) is blown out but the light and density on non-plant meshes looks good.

Any ideas?

ForestPack Pro 6.3.1, RailClone 4.2.13, 3ds Max (Max 2024), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS x570 Master Motherboard, RTX4090, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Is it possible to Globally override lighting on one Forest?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 11:24:36 AM »
Hi Rob.

Thanks for getting in touch. Something looks a little odd here. I wonder if the library has loaded to correct materials? Could you check to make sure that they are V-Ray materials and that the maps are present?

If it's not that, could you send us the scene to helpdesk@itoosoft.com and we can diagnose the problem?

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

RobH2

• Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a bit
    • NVision4D
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 03:13:48 AM »
Hi Paul, I appreciate your looking at this. I don't have that specific file anymore. I nixed the idea of lighting with an HDRI and am using a V-Ray Sun. The plants are lighting correctly. So, the issue had something to do with the HDRI. It was a good one that I purchased online from Peter Guthrie. It was also in a V-Ray HDRI map.

So now that I have that corrected, the real question I was wanting an answer for was, "can you globally adjust an entire Forest", one that may have 30 or 40 maps? The grass I have now is too green. I know I can render a mask but is there a "global" way to adjust the color of the entire grass Forest?

ForestPack Pro 6.3.1, RailClone 4.2.13, 3ds Max (Max 2024), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS x570 Master Motherboard, RTX4090, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 08:53:54 AM »
So now that I have that corrected, the real question I was wanting an answer for was, "can you globally adjust an entire Forest", one that may have 30 or 40 maps? The grass I have now is too green. I know I can render a mask but is there a "global" way to adjust the color of the entire grass Forest?

That is not related to whether object is ForestPack or any other type of geometry. As far as I know 3ds max has no such feature. Maybe there are some scripts that does this.

In Your first Post You asked different question:
Is there a way to globally override the lighting intensity on Forests individually?
Yes, You can do that. You should exclude ForestPack object from Your domelight, and create new domelight with ForestPack object in include list.
Rokas