Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Fstorm not completely supported  (Read 3536 times)

Wade

Fstorm not completely supported
« on: June 14, 2018, 08:49:17 AM »
I installed the new version 6 and I started testing. I noticed the layered lawns won't render with textures.

Problem is that fstorm doesn't support forest color. Now should iToo make its preset work, aka change the color to a fstorm randomizer or should fstorm?

Thanks
Wade

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Fstorm not completely supported
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »
No, unfortunately Forest Color is not supported in FStorm.

Please, hold on. Our library team is making tests with FStorm, to find the best way to use these presets.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:55:49 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately, we cannot implement support for Forest Colour as it was designed to work on the CPU. In fact, the only GPU renderer currently to work with Forest Colour is V-Ray GPU, and support had to implemented by Chaos Group themselves.

That said, FStorm appears to have some features that will allow you to get something similar. In this case, I would convert the existing Materials using FStorm's built-in converter (which seems to do a pretty good job) and swap out the Forest Colour maps for FStormMultiTex maps set to Object + Element ID

We're currently evaluating whether to add materials for FStorm. There are a lot of renderers out there and we would love to support them all, but resources are limited. If there is enough demand though we will, of course, convert our materials. As you are probably aware, the situation for FStorm isn't helped by the legal wrangles with Otoy.

All the best,

Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software

DRuivo

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:26:09 PM »
+1 here, we just switched to Fstorm and it is driving us mental having to change materials everytime we use a predefined setup.

DC1061

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »
I converted a VRAY scene to fstorm and just realizing everything is rendering white. So I created a new material to convert but stuck on converting the Forest Color texture.  Can you share a few steps on getting the textures to show?  The ID colors are now responding correctly at least.

My current material
Fstorm Base ->  FStormMultiTex (in diffuse slot) -> i copied the Forest Color from the original plant texture and pasted into the ID slots on the MultiTexture ->  FStormBitmap in the default slot on the "Forest Color" map.

What should the Forest Color map be replaced with?  Thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:47:02 PM by DC1061 »

Rokas

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 11:59:37 AM »
You can achieve randomizations in FStorm using couple of methods:

If you want to randomly choose from a set of *.jpg files then  "FStormMultiTex" map set to Object + Element ID

If You want to add color tint variation to Your map, then use FStormRandomColor and FStormMix map:

Hope this helps. If You could send a scene I could take a closer look.
Rokas

DC1061

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 11:59:27 PM »
Ah perfect! That worked.  I also ended up just importing my maxtree files and converting to fstorm, then using those as the geometry.