Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Feature Request: Surface Slicing of Props  (Read 1211 times)

Shawn Olson

• Wall Worm
    • Wall Worm
Feature Request: Surface Slicing of Props
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
I'd like an option that will replicating using a Boolean Subtract on objects using surface meshes. What I'd like is to be able to conform the base of each prop exactly on the surface and delete all geometry that intersected with the surface. There should be an option to keep the bases empty or to fill it with geometry matching the surface--where the new faces can get a specific material ID so they can be selected easily if the forest object is collapsed.
Shawn Olson
Product Management Team @ Autodesk for 3ds Max
Developer of Wall Worm Tools

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Feature Request: Surface Slicing of Props
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 12:51:27 PM »
Hi, I'm afraid Forest cannot modify the geometry of objects. That would cause many limitations with the render instancing.

An option for your needs would be to use V-Ray booleans and slicing. It allows to modify geometry of instances at render time, much more efficient that generating specific meshes.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Shawn Olson

• Wall Worm
    • Wall Worm
Re: Feature Request: Surface Slicing of Props
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 03:12:34 PM »
Thanks for the input. I only recently joined the VRay clan, so I'm not familiar yet with all the tools in it.

However, if it's render-time only, it won't solve my need as I'm trying to efficiently cull hidden geometry because the final output is a game engine, not rendering. We are currently using Max's native Boolean and ProBoolean, but they are often buggy and destructive. So I was thinking more of a setting or modifier or utility with that in mind.
Shawn Olson
Product Management Team @ Autodesk for 3ds Max
Developer of Wall Worm Tools