Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Vray distance texture for material blend with forest pack  (Read 991 times)

UR1283

Vray distance texture for material blend with forest pack
« on: April 12, 2022, 11:01:51 PM »
Hi,

How would I go about setting up my v-ray material blend to work based on where my scatter is placed? I have two materials I want to blend so that one is around the base of the forest pack scatter. I was thinking that using a v-ray Distance texture would be the best way but when I add the FP object to the VRDT it says "can't make a circular reference"

I could probably just create a spline from my painted area and use it for the distance object but was hoping to find a way to keep it parametric with the paint areas tool.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 12:43:30 AM by UR1283 »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Vray distance texture for material blend with forest pack
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 10:17:48 AM »
I'm afraid that the circular reference issue is unavoidable because Forest Pack is dependent on the surface properties, so to then make the surface's material's dependent on the Fp object would create a problematic loop.

There is an easy workaround though. Just duplicate the surface as an instance and apply the V-Ray Distance Texture material to that. The surface that Forest Pack uses can be set so that it doesn't render (and I usually set it to display as box too so it doesn't cause confusion in the viewports)

Please see the attached sample scene for a simplified setup.

I hope that helps,
Paul
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 11:18:27 AM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

UR1283

Re: Vray distance texture for material blend with forest pack
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 07:23:43 PM »
Hi Paul,

Yes, that does help! Makes sense, that is a clever work around.

Thanks