Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Offset map animate by age - choose a map channel?  (Read 1080 times)

mynewcat

Offset map animate by age - choose a map channel?
« on: April 11, 2022, 11:39:31 AM »
https://forum.itoosoft.com/forest-pro-(*)/offsetmap-in-animate-scale-by-age-effect/

I am using FPpro to map vegation onto an object using UV Map mode, and I set some UV mappinng with channel one.

I have since realised that I need to animate the object scales at an offset - as mentioned in the thread above.

I downloaded the file and implemented it.

However, I was to use my Gradient map on a different map channel - so it does not conflict with the way I have already arranged the planting.

Is there a way anywhere, either in Surface Settings, or in this Effect, to stipulate whether I am using Map Channel 1 or 2?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Offset map animate by age - choose a map channel?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 11:06:31 AM »
Hi,

I am afraid at the moment the UVW channel for distribution in UVw surface mode is locked to 1. Forest Effects also only has access to channel 1.

One option though might be to use a map with the regular Transform settings. You can choose from any channel and use an animated map to control the Z Scale.

I hope that helps.
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

mynewcat

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 11:17:04 AM »
Oh thanks for the reply - yes, that is a nice solution. I am worried I'm in a bit too deep with the effects thing though.

Would your suggestion keep the existing randomness of the scale is my only worry? Or would I have to add noise to the gradient ramp?

How are you animating it? Just controlling the pin on the gradient ramp?

Also, one other question about the effects - I was assuming that the "offset start" would delay the start of the animation - but that doesn't seem to be the case.

How can I trigger the animation to begin later than frame zero using that example effect linked to in the previous post?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 09:59:20 AM »
Hi,

In this case I just reduced the map's tiling and animated the offset, but animating the pin would probably work too.

The OffsetStart value defines the maximum time range sampled using OffsetMap. So, if OffsetStart was set to ten seconds, then a pure black colour on the map would start the animation immediately, a mid-grey would start animating at 5 seconds, and a white would start at ten seconds.

The actual duration of the scale animation is defined using the SecondsToAnimate parameter. To delay the animation for a period you can just use non-black values in your gradient.

I hope that helps,
Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software

mynewcat

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 12:56:15 AM »
Strange problem - when I am animating the scale transform with a map even if the map is pure black, the tiny plants are visible at 1 percent, although in your example 1pc is invisible and they cannot be seen