Forest Pack > Forest Pro (*)

Horizontal Shadows on objects

(1/1)

UF7753:
the horizontal shadows do not cast across objects. the vertical do as you can see from the image below. so is there something i'm missing or is this a limit of forest pro at the moment?

iToo:

We cast horizontal shadows using a fake plane, placed by default at 5% of the tree's height from the base of it. So, the objects above of this plane are out of the shadow area.

Try increasing the Z Offset value in the shadow parameters, to move up the shadow plane. Although this fix is very dependent of the scene, may be useful in some situations.

UF7753:
thanks for the reply. i will try this later when i get a chance. i do not plan to place objects in this position often and i suppose i could leave off the horizontal shadow as an option.
if i remember correctly, when i increased the z% the shadow started to move in the direction that the light creating the shadow was pointing. i could create another directional light pointing straight down to cast the horizontal shadow, so when i increase the z% it will not move in the (x,y) axis. if this works i'll post back.

UF7753:
some success. i found that using a second light with raytrace shadows for the horizontal shadow works in the sense you can increase the z% without the shadow moving in the x,y plane. i had to vary the shadow density to get the xshadow to a similar raytrace shadow.
this is probably getting a little complex, because i need to add another light for GI and 3 lights are 1 too many, i think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version