Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: plugins over the network  (Read 1269 times)

BI1654

plugins over the network
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:45:32 AM »
Hi,
Im trying to setup FPP and RC so that the render slaves can read the plugin over the network.
Railclone seems to work fine, but Forest will not render.
Does forest require any additional steps? What could be causing this?

Thanks

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: plugins over the network
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
Hi,

There isn't any special process and both of our plug-ins works in the same way (there is no license required). As many as render nodes wanted can be used in "Render slave node" mode as the network rendering nodes don't use any type of license. This is required only to edit or render scenes on interactive Max sessions. The setup program includes a custom option for render nodes - under Select Installation Type window choose the Render slave node.

The setup program supports also unattended installations (very handy in case of having various render nodes).  All necessary information regarding the installation of Forest Pack can be found in our on-line reference guide (also Unattended Installation and installation of "Render slave node" mode). Also please note, that you can install Forest Pack on your render farm computers using the setup program, or copying files manually.

I would suggest you to follow our Distributed Rendering issues post to identify where the problem could be in your case. Basically, there are two common causes for similar issues: the plug-in is not properly installed on all render nodes, or there are missing assets. You can follow that basic "troubleshooting guide post" also for any other type of network rendering (as backburner).

I would suggest you as a first thing to double check you're using on all your render nodes the same release of Forest Pack. When installing our plug-in, please double check you are not running any 3ds Max or related service (like the VRay Spawner) during the installation process.

If the problem persist, would you please provide us more information about the problem (is there any error message), including your 3ds Max version, and what render engine (and its version) do you use? Thanks in advance.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

BI1654

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »
Im not actually installing the plugin on the render nodes, Im asking them to load the plugin from a network location.

So I have manually setup all the folder and plugin files in a path on the network, and updated the Plugin.UserSettings.ini with the following
Itoo Software Forest Pack Pro plug-ins=\\Server\path etc......
Itoo Software RailClone Pro plug-ins=\\Server\path etc.....

Which seems to work for all of them except one machine, which is actually a brand new windows install, wonder if the others have some left over registry or something from previous Forest installations which is allowing them to work.

Just not sure why it works for all except one.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 02:04:03 PM »
Hi,

In such case it's necessary to have access not just the plug-in itself, but also to shaders & distribution maps. You can find all necessary files under the Directory Structure table.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

BI1654

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 02:25:25 PM »
Yeah Ive done all that, like I said it works for the other machines it's just this one.
But it's now working, I installed the Forest plugin and then uninstalled it again, now it loads the plugin remotely with no problem.