Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Idea for improvement (similar to edge detection)  (Read 513 times)

RealViz

Idea for improvement (similar to edge detection)
« on: January 16, 2023, 12:14:37 PM »
Hello,
I was wondering how to improve FP. Edge Detection works on the principle of bitmap (generated), right? Would it be possible to add a custom bitmap as an additional layer. It would be much easier to create effects of the type (attachment). Now we need to create a smaller grass sample and distribute it using a bitmap. This bitmap would be mapped to the surface using classic UVW mapping. It would then be possible to use a standard large grass sample as in other cases.
I hope I have written this in an understandable way.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Idea for improvement (similar to edge detection)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 10:06:10 AM »
Hi,

Well, in this kind of scenario(s), using the Edge Mode would not be very useful/efficient. Instead, using “Detail” presets - individual blades of grass - would be more productive than removing parts of clumps. Let me mention, that you might find this part of the Ask iToo! Q&A from 28 April 2022 interesting and helpful.

Best regards,

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 10:52:30 AM »
I should add that Edge Mode doesn't use bitmaps. It works computing the distance to the spline/object.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

RealViz

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 08:24:13 AM »
Thanks, I will continue to use smaller bunches of grass as I have been. It's a bit clumsy for large areas, but still doable thanks to the robustness of FP :-) Thanks