Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Populate surface by material ID  (Read 4229 times)

KO3272

Populate surface by material ID
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
Hi there,

I was wondering if it was possible to populate a surface through material id.
A little bit like the color ID.

We often have a masterplan surface where we need to populate trees, scrubs, grass, mulch, etc
We have the whole site as 1 object, but just cut-out and materials IDs who are assigning the materials.
It would be awesome to have forest pack on that surface and being able to say that the trees are on MatID x and the scrubs on Mat ID y and the mulch on MatID x, etc.

I know I can break the surface in different objects, but that makes it harder afterwords to manipulate.
The generate options is great, and the color ID is already something, but that means we need to map, and that's another step that could be avoid and everything would be generate on the fly by assigning objects scattering through MatID.

Thanks

Stan

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Populate surface by material ID
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
The problem in this case is there not any ID number associated with the elements of the Geometry List (Color ID is a color, not a number). We could add it, but would be a bit confuse if only is used together a parameter located at Distribution Map->Diversity (we should add a new selector here). It's not very intuitive.

We will think if there some alternative way to achieve it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

KO3272

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »
Hi,

I'm not sure of understanding exactly what you mean, so I did a quick setup to explain my point :

So in my file, I have 1 base object with I would like to populate with 1 or more forest pack, based on the material ID, for ex. : if I could say that geometry1 = mat 6 and geometry 2 = mat 3 etc...
Now, I need to detach each material id to object, and apply a forest pack on each.

I hope this is more clear to what I mean,

Thanks

Stan
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:22:00 AM by KO3272 »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 01:56:51 PM »
Yes, i understand what do you want. The problem is that now each geometry has not a numeric ID, that we can use to associate with the Material ID. I have to think what is the best way to support this feature.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

in3des

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 04:45:39 PM »
hello  :)
any updates on this feature?
I faced similar task - would be great to have scatter surface by material ID. (detach surfaces is not always good)
thx

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
Hi,

The "Surf Mat.ID" feature is already supported (since the Forest Pack Lite/Pro 4.3.3 - Added Areas->Limit by Surface Material ID.). You can find more about it in our "To limit the scatter using material" section of our on-line reference guide.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

in3des

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 08:07:45 PM »
thank you !