Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Custom objects collision settings?  (Read 3902 times)

Pepster3D

Custom objects collision settings?
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:06:35 PM »
Hi,
Total noob here.   :'(
I have 5 custom objects (big rocks) and a custom surface, and my goal is to make a big pile of rocks.  I have covered my custom surface with the rocks, but when I increase the density, the rocks keep penetrating each other.  I see that each custom objects has collision settings, and there is also another collision setting area down further.  I don't know how to set these up so the rocks do not go through each other.  When I put the collision settings up higher towards 100 the rocks separate but then there are big gaps between them, and I loose the "pile of rocks" look.  Any suggestions?  As mentioned, this is my first time using this plugin.  Thanks!

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Custom objects collision settings?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:55:09 AM »
Hi,

Sometimes it could be really tricky to find right values, as these depend a lot on the item's shape (the algorithm traces virtual bounding-spheres) and size difference between used items (in your case rocks). Please feel free to check our on-line reference guide for detailed description of the Collisions feature, where you can find examples showing how different local / global Radius values affect the final look. In your case (rocks) the default "centre" value (50%) for the Height should be fine.

Usually, to get a compact look, it's better to combine various sizes (you can easily archive that even without preparing additional geometry by changing the Scale value for some of your Custom object(s)). By setting accurately the Density value, in most cases there is no need to use the Collisions feature (it's designed mainly for check collisions between trees).

Hope you find it useful and please feel free to post an image(s) for further clarifying.

Kind regards,