Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Japanese Zen garden  (Read 2255 times)

Terri Brown

• Terri Brown 3D
Japanese Zen garden
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:35:49 AM »
Hi everyone,

Seems like in every project there's a new challenge of some sort. My clients have requested a raked zen garden in a small courtyard section. (I was initially planning on doing it with pebbles...as there is much gravel throughout the project, but after looking at some references I see in fact it probably needs to be sand).  Anyway, my question is, how do I achieve this raked effect like on the image attached? I understand that I need a black and white map of the texture required, but I'm always a bit confused as to which slot to place it into. Is it a Distribution map (and under Distribution or Area rollout??), or a transform map?

And question 2: If it is indeed sand that is needed, is it better to create the geometry surface with that displacement and then scatter grains of sand over it?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I've already been playing around with it for a while with no great results. I was using a 3ds max procedural swirl map to test.

Thanks in advance

Rokas

Re: Japanese Zen garden
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:31:16 PM »
Hi Terri

It looks like gravel to me, not a sand. If it was a sand You could get away with just displaced terrain and sand texture.

In this situation I would use displace modifier(not VrayDisplaceMod) to deform the surface. And on top of that ForestPack Gravel preset.
I have created simple "Zen Garden raking" texture (attached) used in displace modifier.

Then added ForestPack gravel preset on top of that. Make sure to use Surface Normals= 0.
Feel free to adjust Items scale to Your needs as well as Distribution pattern Size (Full Preset).

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:49:28 PM by Rokas »
Rokas

Terri Brown

• Terri Brown 3D
Re: Japanese Zen garden
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 07:23:18 PM »
Awesome. Thank you Rokas.