Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: just noticed something in terms of distribution when creating object  (Read 805 times)

grue

hello. so i have max 2022 now, latest updates, and forest pro just updated a couple days ago.

when i create a forest object, there is no default panel object.  so i click on custom, click on an object in my scene and i notice that the distribution parameter where you adjust scale in scene units, is 32'9"  whereas in previous versions with max 2020, the scale is set to 329'.xx

my max scene units are set to feet with decimal inches.  my global max units are set to 1 unit = 1 ft (as it was in previous versions).

the only real crazy thing is, at that high of a density it can bog down the computer when i add a big tree or something else thats higher polly.  i've tried it a box as well and sure enough i get very high density distribution.

hm... so i create a plane that's say 200ft x 100ft, and just normally create a forest object using that plane.  it looks like i can change the density from 32' to something higher. before adding objects.  oh and i use real-world-scale for my max scenes.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: just noticed something in terms of distribution when creating object
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 11:07:50 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, we'll take a look at the default settings (currently default density is set to 10m or equivalent which works well for ground cover but is perhaps too dense for trees).

One thing that you might find useful though, is the ability to set your own default values using the Preset system found in the General rollout. Here's a 10 second tip tutorial that illustrates how to use it: https://www.itoosoft.com/tensecondstips/saving-default-settings

I hope that helps,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

grue

Re: just noticed something in terms of distribution when creating object
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 05:06:18 PM »
i see yeah.  yeah for ground cover it's great :)  ok, i thought since it went from an older version of max/forest pack of about 329' to 32' (10m) something might have been off in my max scene settings.  but yeah thanks for the link on saving default settings!