Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Lack of backward compatibility between 7 and 6 versions.  (Read 739 times)

MATRADI

Lack of backward compatibility between 7 and 6 versions.
« on: January 27, 2022, 01:00:32 PM »
I recently upgraded my ForestPro version to 7. Now I have a problem. I collaborate with an architect studio (in a different country) and they have version 6 (and don’t intend, by now, to upgrade their licenses to the 7 version).

When I set in scene one of the new cut hedges model, they can't see it in the 6 version. This doesn't happen with other 3D models from 6 version, such as flowers, trees…

This is an issue for us. I understand that iToo doesn't have the obligation to do their program backward compatible (many companies don't pay attention to this) but I think it could be a nice touch and would make our job easier.

Thanks.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Lack of backward compatibility between 7 and 6 versions.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 03:52:20 PM »
Thanks for contacting us,

Wherever possible we do try to maintain as much compatibility as possible between releases, but there are occasions where new features are introduced that can't be replicated in earlier versions. That said, I can't see why the hedges wouldn't work in Forest Pack 6 because as I recall they don't use any FP7 specific features. What does your other studio get in the viewports/renders with these assets?

Best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

MATRADI

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 04:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

They see my 3D model. They can see flowers, shrubs, trees… but the cut hedges aren't displayed. Instead of that, they see the typical "F" letter on the ground, and there is no way for the cut hedges to show.

It seems to me that those models are "stored" internally in the scene file with different syntaxes, so that version 6 can't read them.

Have you tried to test it?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 09:47:12 AM »
Hi,

Forest Pack just uses standard meshes in the scene file, we don't use any custom format.  I'm running some tests but it seems to work fine here

Could you create a simple file with a hedge that you can confirm doesn't work for your architect studio and send it to us? If it also doesn't work here it'll help to diagnose the issue.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

MATRADI

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 10:39:29 AM »
Hi

After several months, this studio called us again for a new job, so we've spent some time testing it again. Let me explain it step by step.

In my computer (7.41 version), I create 2 simple surfaces to populate them with trees.

In one of them, I put some bushes with "Generate" order. I leave them as they are.

In the second surface, I place some tress, also with "Generate".

Now I want to move some of the trees individually, so that I select them and I click on Items Editor --> Custom Edit.

Warning message --> "Switching to Custom Edit mode..." --> Yes

Now I move some trees individually. I can see in Items Editor: "12 Items in Object"

I save the model, and I send it to the architects with the 6th version.

When they open the model, they can see the bushes correctly on the first surface, but they see the second surface empty, with the "F" on it.

If they select this "F" item, it displays "0 items in object". So that it seems that the problem is in the way that Forest 7 storages the information about individual items. I think it's not compatible with the 6th version.

You can find attached the model.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 12:31:02 PM »
Hi,

I'm afraid, that the Custom Edit mode isn't "backward compatible"- previous releases can‘t read the "FP7" object in this mode correctly. Unfortunately, we can't guarantee its full backward compatibility because of many new features, improvements and bugs fixed. Thanks for your comprehension.

Best regards,