Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Library - EVERYTHING IS GREYED OUT  (Read 1940 times)

SD8355

Library - EVERYTHING IS GREYED OUT
« on: September 19, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »
Hi,

Even custom libraries I made, everything option is greyed out and unavailable.
I can't do anything.

It's the first time I see that.
Can you help please?
Thanks in advance.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Library - EVERYTHING IS GREYED OUT
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 09:46:18 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. Are you able to post a screenshot of your library browser so we can see the directory structure? It might help us to diagnose the cause of the issue.
Thanks
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

SD8355

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 10:18:54 AM »
Sure,
And I also right-clicked to show that the option of this menu are greyed out. It's basically everywhere.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 11:08:59 AM »
Thanks for your screenshot. I can see that you are trying to edit the libraries that are included with Forest Pack. These libraries are downloaded using Update Manager and they are not editable by design to prevent any future updates from overwriting changes users may have made.

If you wish to add your own libraries it is necessary to add a new user path. In the past, we used to create a default user path for you, but in the latest version you'll need to add one manually (we'll fix this) You can see how that's done in our documentation here.

I hope that helps,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

SD8355

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 11:19:52 AM »
I should have posted another screenshot then,
As I said, this problem is across the board.
I cannot even edit my own librairies, nor create new ones, nothing is doable.
Here is 2 other screenshots, the last one being the weirder.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 11:22:51 AM by SD8355 »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 11:34:39 AM »
Sorry, I'm not being clear. That behaviour is expected. No libraries that are in the top level Forest Library folder should be editable because they are handled automatically by our installer and you risk having your changes or new custom libraries overwritten. Any user-created libraries need to be added to a new library location.

The real mystery here is that you've been able to edit those libraries in that past since that's supposed to have been the way that Forest Pack handles that directory for a long time.

My advice would be to create a new directory following the steps in the link above, and then move your custom libraries out of the Forest Library folder and into the new directory

I hope that makes sense and apologies again for any confusion.
Best,
Paul
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 11:36:45 AM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

SD8355

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »
That's the problem, I can't even create a new directory, nothing. Absolutely everything is greyed out.
Seeing your tips, my guess would be to reset the library system/ create new library system folder or something, am I on the right track?
(This library is several years old, created with older versions and upgraded along the way, so...)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 02:20:06 PM by SD8355 »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 02:47:26 PM »
That's it, you won't be able to add a new folder to the existing Forest Library directory. You'll need to create a new user folder that's not in the Forest Library folder (using windows explorer) and then point Forest Pack to it by adding it in the Preferences using the following steps.   

• First of all, create a new Folder using windows explorer that'll you'll use to house all your custom libraries.
  • In 3ds Max, with the Forest Pack library editor open go to the File>Preferences… or click the preferences button from the top toolbar.
  • The Library Paths rollout shows a list of all the locations currently being used. To add a new location click on the Add button and navigate to the folder for your libraries. Select the new directory and click on the Select Folder button.

• If you want to rename the directory, you can double click on it from the list of folders.

• Click OK to accept the changes and close the Preferences panel.
  • Move all of your custom libraries out of the Forest Library folder and into this new one.

This new folder should also be fully editable using the Forest Pack Library browser.

I hope that helps,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

SD8355

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 02:53:29 PM »
Nice, I'll try this out.
Thanks for helping :)