Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Animation - frame from noise map - scene crash after 34 frames  (Read 2677 times)

RG1597

Animation - frame from noise map - scene crash after 34 frames
« on: February 19, 2018, 07:40:10 PM »
Trying to set up a test scene for animating grass models using the 'frame from map' option in FP 5.3.2. We usually use Corona, but I discovered that this doesn't work with this feature, so testing with Vray (2.50.01).

Dummy objects on a grid whith bend modifier, animated over 60 frames and a Max noise map as the controller, they now render and the first 34 frames are successful, but the scene crashes after that, or rather I get an error message and it refuses to render any further.

Possibly because of the old version of Vray, file is attached so it would be useful to know if the same thing happens with an up-to-date version of Vray.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Animation - frame from noise map - scene crash after 34 frames
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 12:02:58 PM »
Hi, the crash is not caused by V-Ray, but a strange issue with the Noise map, which is returning a negative value in frame 35 (something as -0.001).
That value is not expected by Forest, and it triggers an error choosing the animation sample.

I've added a fix in the code to handle this case. It will included in the next FP6 update.

Meanwhile, you would add a "Color correction" map to the Noise, to make the texture a bit brighter and convert the -0.001 to a positive value.
I've tried with Brightness = 1.0 (as shown in the attached image) and it seems to solve the problem.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

RG1597

Re: Animation - frame from noise map - scene crash after 34 frames
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:50:02 PM »
Ahh fantastic. Would that be because I had messed with the output of the noise map to get the contrast I wanted. Anyway, that's a great help, I'll persevere with it.

Thanks,
Tom.