Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Library paths question  (Read 1933 times)

MU3245

Library paths question
« on: June 07, 2022, 04:44:17 PM »
Quite some time ago I slightly modified my User Library folder structure. Ever since I get an "paths not found" message when I open scenes in new projects that I have added some forest pack items to. It is always for the same two paths.

The 3Ds max "path not found" message appears when I first open the scene in Max. I check commit paths anyway and the scene opens and no problem from there on. It is just kind of annoying/tedious and I would like to fix it so that doesn't keep happening.

I'm just no sure where or how to delete the old paths that forest Pack adds and then 3ds max keeps looking for. The folders no longer exists on my drive so...why is forest Pack still loading them as path locations when I create a forest object and how can I fix that?

Paths not found:

d\data\max\mymesh02\plants-landscape-sitework\myforest-libraries\shrubs\maps

d\data\max\mymesh02\plants-landscape-sitework\myforest-libraries\vp real boulders\maps

There is also this other path not found shown below. I do not believe I did any modification of this library or it's paths. I notice (as downloaded and installed on my system) that the Maps folder is a sub folder of the Model folder versus being a subfolder of the Presets folder. 3DS Max is looking for it and returning the path not found message per the below path.

d\data\max\mymesh02\plants-landscape-sitework\myforest-libraries\The3DGarden\Field Plants and Grasses 01\Presets\maps

I hope this is all understandable and thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 04:53:23 PM by MU3245 »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Library paths question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 12:48:04 PM »
Hi,

All paths for used assets can be configured (removed when needed) within the 3ds Max configuration under Customize - Configure User Paths - External files – these are stored in the 3dsmax.ini within the [BitmapDirs] section.

Let me add, that generally, we recommend resolving all references used by Forest to absolute UNC paths. It's not necessary, but usually, this way you avoid any texture path issues while using distributed rendering. The "default" file handling is controlled by 3ds Max and could be adjusted under Options - Preference Settings - File Handling - Convert file paths to UNC. This way all your scenes should use UNC paths.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

MU3245

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 07:45:39 PM »
Thanks for your reply Michal. I think it is Customize>Configure Project Paths-External files you are referencing? I understand I can delete the paths from there.

My question is why does Forest Pack add these no longer existing paths to the Project Paths whenever I first create a Forest Object in a new scene? What/where/how do I need to do to get rid of the reference to those no longer existing paths so they do not always get added by Forest Pack and then every time I open the scene I get the "paths not found" message?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 08:00:04 PM by MU3245 »

MU3245

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 09:59:25 PM »
Update. I re-read your reply and Opened the 3dsmax.ini file and deleted the two paths:

d\data\max\mymesh02\plants-landscape-sitework\myforest-libraries\shrubs\maps

d\data\max\mymesh02\plants-landscape-sitework\myforest-libraries\vp real boulders\maps

That seemed to do the trick so thanks for that!

I did not see the path belwo in the .ini file:

d\data\max\mymesh02\plants-landscape-sitework\myforest-libraries\The3DGarden\Field Plants and Grasses 01\Presets\maps

But, when i opened the scene this time I did not get any "path not valid" messages so...all good for now. Thanks for your help!

MU3245

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 09:18:31 PM »
I spoke too soon. This problem remains. FP keeps adding several paths that I deleted form my FP Libraary. I deleted the paths from Max Configure Project Path, deleted from 3dsmax.ini, and deleted fromm the project .mxp file.

Still on new project or on adding some FP these now non-existing paths get added back into the three locations listed above.

i suspect it may be because when I deleted the paths form my FP Library I did that from within Windows Explorer vs the FP Library Browser.

Where can I delete these no longer existing paths so they do not keep getting added back into my projects?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 03:18:23 PM »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear, you're still facing troubles with it. Can you please have a look at the following registry key if you can find these listed there?

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Itoo Software\Forest Pack Pro\TexturePaths

If so, try removing these entries.

Best regards,

MU3245

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 07:54:44 PM »
Well editing registry keys is somewhat beyond my level of expertise. Since I'm a little unsure and a bit apprehensive about doing that here is what I have found.

Under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Itoo Software\Forest Pack Pro\TexturePaths  I find these two items:
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
1 REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Itoo softwate\Forest Pack Pro\distmaps\images

Are you suggesting I delete those items?

Thank you.

MU3245

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 04:31:49 PM »
I'm bumping this back up. I still have the problem and it's never been resolved. My last post regarding this was never answered.

Somewhere forest Pack is keeping old Forest Library paths that I changed in my directory using windows explorer versus the forest Library Browser.

Every time I start a new scene and add a forest object I then accept the message about including the forest paths in the max customize project paths. From that point on I get a repeated message about the 3 paths I removed not being valid and to "load paths anyway". IOW - When creating an initial forest object and accepting load forest paths, forest pack always includes these 3 long since deleted paths

I cannot figure out where Forest Pack (probably forest Library) is keeping these old deleted paths and how I might clear up this long standing annoying, self inflicted, glitch.

It's hard to believe I would need to edit registry keys to fix this...that was the last reply I got from itoo support on this thread.

thanks for any help.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 08:39:23 AM »
I apologize for the delay in replying.
If you don't get a reply in couple of days, please create a new thread. Sometimes it's difficult for us to track old posts.

Please, download the attached file and run it (double click). It will delete the required registry entries.

Forest includes a mechanism to add the texture paths automatically to Max, for the library items.
It scans all library paths, searching for a 'maps' folder, and adding them to the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Itoo Software\Forest Pack Pro\TexturePaths). Later, these entries are added to Customize->Configure Project Paths->External Files.
If libraries are removed, it may be necessary to clean this registry to delete old entries.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 08:42:59 AM by iToo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

MU3245

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 11:27:31 PM »
Thanks for your reply Carlos!

I ran that file you provided and it seems to have fixed the long standing annoying glitch I had created. It seemed require a system re-start before it started working. As far as I can tell with some quick test it now appears to be all good.

If I wanted to do some more re-organizing and re-naming of folders in my Forest Library in the future wold that file you provided still work? IOW should I save it for possible future use or would it be better to request it again if the need arises?

Thanks again, very helpful!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 08:46:18 AM »
I'm glad it worked.

The file can be reused without problems. It just clears the content of the registry, where map paths are stored.

By the way, if you want to disable the map scanning completely, it can be done unchecking Library Browser->File->Preferences->"Add 'maps' folders to 3DS Max texture paths".
When this option is disabled, Forest doesn't add anymore the texture maps to the Max configuration. In this case, map paths must be configured manually by the user.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 09:00:20 AM by iToo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

MU3245

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 04:30:47 PM »
Cool and thanks again!

Morne

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2022, 10:08:55 AM »
I'm glad it worked.

The file can be reused without problems. It just clears the content of the registry, where map paths are stored.

By the way, if you want to disable the map scanning completely, it can be done unchecking Library Browser->File->Preferences->"Add 'maps' folders to 3DS Max texture paths".
When this option is disabled, Forest doesn't add anymore the texture maps to the Max configuration. In this case, map paths must be configured manually by the user.

@iToo how can I do that via maxscript Carlos?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2022, 09:12:23 AM »
It cannot be done via Maxscript.
Anyway, you only need to deactivate the option and clean registry one time.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software