Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: cryptomatte support?  (Read 1778 times)

ldotchops

cryptomatte support?
« on: March 20, 2022, 02:19:30 PM »
I cannot test this myself at the moment but i do need to know if forest pack supports cryptomattes for each object? i have done a test in the past but it only sees the scatter as a whole.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: cryptomatte support?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 12:47:38 PM »
Hi - I'm afraid at the moment there's a technical limitation that means Forest Pack can only generate one Cryptomatte Mask per Forest Object. Internally, we use the same approach as V-Ray Instancer which has the same limitation.

A workaround might be to use Forest Tools to convert Forest Pack to native instances which will then give you more flexibility when using Crypomatte passes. Alternatively, if it's any help you could use a Multimatte pass in conjunction with Object IDs to create masks for each type of scattered object.

I hope that helps,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

RealViz

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 08:47:12 AM »
Or you can use crypto by material.

ldotchops

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 12:57:29 PM »
@RealViz i just tested with by material on forest pack and it still seems to only see forest pack as a whole. how are you doing it?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 01:00:19 PM »
As far as I know in my tests, By Material still sees FP as a single object, as it also does for V-Ray Instancer.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

RealViz

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 08:49:38 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to note that multimaterial only works in the latest V-Ray 5 upd.2.2.

RealViz

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 01:48:18 PM »
I'm sorry,
it worked in a previous version of FP. I don't know exactly which one it was. But it was version 5.

CharlyRT

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 11:01:01 PM »
As @RealViz said, Cryptomatte for multimaterial only works on Vray 5.2 and ForestPack 7.1.2 or below, there's something strange happening on the last updates, in some cases IPR seems to recognize cryptomatte material, but mostly it doesn't, in production it's there but as 1 material combined  :-\.

RealViz

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 08:26:46 AM »
Yes, and now there is even a problem with the "by layer name" function. FP starts generating a still common cryptomatte at higher counts. :-(

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 08:58:28 AM »
Hi, for a number of reasons we recently switched Forest Pack's instancing method to use the same technique as V-Ray Instancer. This seems to have affected some of the Cryptomatte functionality. I'll pass it on to the development team, but since V-Ray Instancer is affected in the same way, it's likely to be something that Chaos will need to look at.

As for IPR mode, it's always been my understanding that generating crypto masks only works with bucket rendering. Unless this changed in recent versions.

Best,

Paul.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

CharlyRT

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 06:43:24 PM »
Hello Paul:

In V-Ray 5 Update 2 they have introduced the possibility to use cryptomatte for progressive mode, so it works perfect on IPR, actually the grass test that I have shared are directly from IPR.

I have already informed Chaos Group about this issue, they didn't have the same ressults because didn't use the newer ForestPack version, hopely this issue could be solved.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 07:13:32 PM by RTstudio »