Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Causes making FP not working on object?  (Read 1616 times)

SD8355

Causes making FP not working on object?
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:11:18 AM »
I have this problem that I assign FP to a custom object and nothing displays in viewport or render.
I assumed that it may be a too big area (450 square meters).
But then, when I make a 700 square meters plane for instance, FP works on it (?).

Is it because my geometry is custom editable poly that I edited, deleted faces, displaced etc?
Should I reset xform? center pivot? reset normals?

What could be the most common causes of FP not working?

I don't understand how this program reacts sometimes, it is quite confusing to me.

Thank your for helping.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Causes making FP not working on object?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 10:52:54 AM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear you're facing those troubles. Is there any error / warning message? Under General - Forest Stats window you can check more details about it and it should give you a hint, where the problem is.

Please double check you are using Distribution Map - Density values corresponding to your working units and model size. Also please check your limits of Max items / Max faces for view-port / render - as in case of big areas or high density you can reach these limits and you may need to push some of them up.

Usually, this kind of troubles can be sorted out easily by raising the Max density value - it's setting the limit of possible item positions in the area. In case of large areas it's very possible you've reached that default limit.

I would suggest you to have a look at following ""Some forest were not built correctly in the last render" error" post on our forum. Hope that helps.

Best regards,

TL1895

Re: Causes making FP not working on object?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »
This might not be it, but I recently opened a scene ant two of seven forest objects were just showing the "F" icon and no matter what, they would not make any items.
After some fiddling around, I found they had a camera assigned to them under camera settings.  Clear the camera and the forests behaved again.  It was odd, because I don't typically assign cameras for these forests (e.g. that must appear in reflections if they are behind camera) and I don't have any employees that would have set it.  also, my other forest objects were as I had left them, with the camera field empty.
Since i fixed it, so far it has not happened again, but it is a quick thing to check off the list.