Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Polygon ID propagation respect by forest?  (Read 2471 times)

raistlin

• My website
Polygon ID propagation respect by forest?
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
Everuthing is in the title!
is there a way to propagate the same Polygon ID on meshes that the result in forest pack pro in mesh mode? (like to propagate only one plane with a specific ID).
When i'm trying that, (10 planes with each a different ID >1 to 10) Forest make a mesh with some random ID, but i see that he keep the difference for each of them. (when i'm convert the forest mesh object to a standart mesh).

I don't know if i'm clear..; Sorry for that poor english...

thanks in advance!
Vincent
La vie est une aventure dangereuse d'où personne n'est jamais sortie vivant.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Polygon ID propagation respect by forest?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
In Forest you can define multiple custom objects, each one using multi-subs and multiple IDs, so it's necessary to consolidate all of them in an unique sequence. This is the reason that Forest modifies the IDs in the resulting mesh, and create an auto multi-sub material which assigns to itself.

You can turn off Geometry->Consolidate Materials. In this case, Forest keeps the IDs of each object and doesn't create the multi-sub, but you are responsible to assign to Forest your own material.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

raistlin

• My website
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
Sure we will.
But i'm happy to know that's possible! :) Sometimes we need that!
I an understand the reaon itoo re-creat the ID distribution, for sure it's the best way to avoid ID's collisions....

thx a lot!

raistlin

• My website
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »
Everything is ok, but can i hope a little place in the panel to see the polygon ID near the geometry object (interval when there is a lot of IDs for exemple
Geometry X1 100(proba) Id1
Geometry X2 70 id 2-125)

Maybe not in the "straight" panel, but in a managed one or a pop up available on a clic or other...?

thanks!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »
Why do you need to handle manually the IDs ?
If the problem comes when you convert Forest to a standard mesh, perhaps would be better to use Forest Tools, to create stand-alone objects from the Forest items. In this way, the IDs don't change.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

raistlin

• My website
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 06:27:56 PM »
Because sometime i need to use polygon Ids..
Imagine a lot of covers, pictures or  other, you make a library of multimat shaders with specifical maps which are scattered on a ton's of identical objects... Now you pray that you can have an easy way to control the polygon id... As you say before, Forest create a specifical multimatshader for objects, it's allright when you have one shader by object, but if you have jus one single object and not necessary the time to create 10 k object manually (:) ) it should be usefull to control the polygon id accuratly...

But thanks, i'm glad with forest object, don't need to transform them ^^