Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Limited to camera view  (Read 475 times)

FD7518

Limited to camera view
« on: January 28, 2023, 04:10:01 AM »
Hi,
I still cannot get octane to only show trees that only camera sees.

Itoo works great when I manually select a  camera ( it shows us limited trees in octane viewport and 3ds max )  but it never works right when a camera is set to NONE whether we check camera/ir or not  Thank you

FD7518

Re: Limited to camera view
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 04:14:37 AM »
Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt but viewport doesnt show limited view unlike when you choose camera manually

UPDATE:

Today all of the sudden the  limited view worked while camera was set to NONE for the first time. It seems that it worked when we chose to look through camera first and then turned the forest on through forest lister. Basically it works when it wants to. We use 2023.3 max
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 06:56:39 PM by FD7518 »

FD7518

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 08:08:05 PM »
Here is another example. Camera 11 is set to render grass with limited visibility ON and camera set to NONE (Apparently this will auto choose active camera) As you can see during rendering limited visibility is showing through camera 12 and not 11. Why?
unchecking camera/IR makes limited visibility not work at all ang grass appears everywhere (2.7 mil in the scene. )

FD7518

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 07:07:00 AM »
UPDATE:

After many tests here is the problem with itoo and maybe octane.

Enable in viewport/ IR is checked for all views.

When camera is manually chosen and limit to  visibility is checked you can see tree count is 2.7k  So we can  add way more grass  to lets say 300k just to see through the camera

When we leave it at NONE you can see tree count is 415k even when we look through the same camera. Why is the count not updated to 2.7K  ?  You said leaving at NONE is alike auto assign to an active view. And now we cannot even increate tree count it will be in tens of millions.  I think this is a bug

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 11:12:43 AM »
You're right, we made some tests here, and we noticed view updating is not working well with Octane.

I just written to Otoy about this issue, since the problem seems to be on their side.
I will post here as soon as we have some news.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

FD7518

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 07:20:58 PM »
You're right, we made some tests here, and we noticed view updating is not working well with Octane.

I just written to Otoy about this issue, since the problem seems to be on their side.

Thank you!

FD7518

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 06:08:41 AM »

I t would be nice in itoo forest 9  to have random scatter noise that is procedural and never repeats for scattering and automatic max density, count, poly count system  that  adjusts for me so we dotn have to manually adjust all there parameters that always pop up. I think AI based scattering is a must

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 08:41:30 AM »

Otoy just replied us. They have identified the problem, and will fixed in Octane 2022.1 - 13.16.

I t would be nice in itoo forest 9  to have random scatter noise that is procedural and never repeats for scattering and automatic max density, count, poly count system  that  adjusts for me so we dotn have to manually adjust all there parameters that always pop up. I think AI based scattering is a must

We have not included a random scatter mode (placing items randomly along the full area), because it doesn't fit well with some of the Forest optimization processes.
Scattering by bitmap lets us to divide it by rows, and process them in separated threads. Also camera and area clipping can be optimized with specific algorithms.

If you want to get maximum density, i would suggest to apply a 'Full' distribution map, Random Translation 10%, and set zero in the Display/Distribution limits to disable them.
You can store this configuration in a preset, to apply it easily.

Also it's possible to use a Noise procedural map as distribution image, if you prefer this approach.
Although the Noise map cannot be saved in General->Presets, it can be saved in the Library to be reused.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software