Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Link to Reference objects in Custom Edit mode  (Read 685 times)

blanker

Link to Reference objects in Custom Edit mode
« on: December 18, 2021, 07:22:08 AM »
Hi iToo team,

Would it be possible to add to the future versions option to keep link to Reference objects in Custom Edit mode?

That will be very helpful when we need to animate movement of some elements within Forest Pack object by animating reference objects movement.

As an example of scenario where it can be very useful - we very often using Forest Pack to scatter people and cars. We are manually changing models from Geometry list for scattered objects in Properties (selection) to make scattered people look more natural and not having situations when standing and walking people were randomly scattered in the same group. But at the same time we want walking people to have motion blur effect, so since we can't animate elements movement within Forest Pack we need to use reference objects for that. But with current Reference Distribution method it scatters objects randomly and when we changing to Custom Edit mode scattered objects are losing connection with reference object.

Other example when we have a custom scatter for the trees and need to move one or few trees for different cameras. Been able to animate trees position to change their location for different cameras would be very helpful. ATM the only solution we found is to detach trees which need to be moved and move them manually. And that's a bit disruptive process which makes it harder to make any further changes. It would be much easier and faster to do it within one Forest Pack object and using Reference objects linked to Custom Edit mode might be a very useful solution for that.

Please let me know if you'll need any further examples to illustrate the above application.

Thanks

RealViz

Re: Link to Reference objects in Custom Edit mode
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 01:27:28 PM »
Perfect idea. I vote for it!

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 02:12:17 PM »
Thanks for this suggestion, I can see the logic and I can't currently think of a workaround. I'll add it to our wishlist.

All the best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

RealViz

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 02:19:04 PM »
Maybe it would be enough to assign a specific object to a specific reference name. This would eliminate switching to custom edit mode.
Example:
Geometry list:
Car_A
Car_B
Reference objects:
Car_A_001
Car_A_002
Car_A_003
Car_B_001
Car_B_002

Then it would be enough to rename the objects and this would also change them inside the FP.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 11:09:11 AM »
It's a nice feature, so we already implemented it for the next update.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

RealViz

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 02:07:32 PM »
Thanks I'm testing the new beta right now and everything seems to be working as it should. So thanks!

blanker

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 02:51:45 AM »
Maybe it would be enough to assign a specific object to a specific reference name. This would eliminate switching to custom edit mode.
Example:
Geometry list:
Car_A
Car_B
Reference objects:
Car_A_001
Car_A_002
Car_A_003
Car_B_001
Car_B_002

Then it would be enough to rename the objects and this would also change them inside the FP.

That's a really good idea!

blanker

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 02:52:34 AM »
It's a nice feature, so we already implemented it for the next update.

Awesome! Thank you! Can't wait to test it