Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: new IRAY plugin for 3ds max '16/'17  (Read 4175 times)

MQ4267

new IRAY plugin for 3ds max '16/'17
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:40:23 PM »
hello.  i purchased the new nvidia iray plugin for 3ds max.  this is different than the iray that ships with max 2016 etc... i'm wondering if you have looked at support for that?

i have been able to create a forest, say a grass field, then use the forest tools to convert to individual objects, then collapse those, put materials on etc... renders out very nicely.  it gets a little awkward though because max has a hard time dealing with thousands of objects and is often very slow to combine say 4,000 grass objects into 1 single object.

i am able to drag and drop an iray+ material in the geometry area of to potentially solve the issue of incompatible materials.

any other thoughts on how i might quickly convert a field of objects into geometry and or setup the forest object to ignore all materials that it creates internally and use my own?  or just in general any thoughts on being able to work with the iray plugin?

thanks!

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: new IRAY plugin for 3ds max '16/'17
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »
Hi,

As far as we know, it's under development. We've been contacted by Lightworks team regarding the Forest Pack support in their iray+ renderer and we've passed them our SDK. As I'm not sure at which stage the implementation is right now, please feel free to get in contact directly with them. Thanks for your comprehension.

Best regards,

MQ4267

Re: new IRAY plugin for 3ds max '16/'17
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 02:36:12 PM »
i know this is an old post but thought i'd update it with the fact that at this time the IRAY+ works very well with ForestPro!  The edge feature however, does not work, but that's not really too big a problem for me as i've lived w/o that feature for a long time (until the latest release).