Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Merging from another scene  (Read 496 times)

JM2145

Merging from another scene
« on: November 29, 2022, 05:45:00 PM »
Hi, I'm having problems when merging from another scene.

I have a lawn in Scene A.

If I select the lawn forest object, then right click and select 'select all forest dependencies'.  Then File> Save Selected.

If i then merge into Scene B, and replace the surface.  The distribution is completely different, the lush full lawn from Scene A, looks really thin and patchy?  The settings are exactly the same, the only thing that's changed is the surface

Keith678

Re: Merging from another scene
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 06:12:25 PM »
- Try and reset the xform on your new surface or maybe your units are different?

- Or see in your surface rollout if it is set to UV or XY

JM2145

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 06:16:29 PM »
I think I've figured it out.

So the original lawn was made with nest forest packs, so 3 small forest clumps, these were left as forests and then scattered within a larger forest.

I then collapsed the 3 small clumps to mesh.  This doesn't cause any problems in the scene that they were 'collapsed' in.

However if you merge those collapsed object to a new scene and use them for the large forest then something is wrong.

If you merge the original uncollapsed clumps, then it works fine.

Hard to explain, but it's almost as if collpasing a Forest Pack to an Edit Mesh, corrupts the resulting geometry somehow

JM2145

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 06:18:08 PM »
- Try and reset the xform on your new surface or maybe your units are different?

- Or see in your surface rollout if it is set to UV or XY

Xform does nothing on either the new surface or the scatter geometry.

Units are the same ALWAYS :)

With regards the UV or XY setting, thats a Forest setting, so if I'm using the merged Forest and just changing the surface, that setting shoulnd't change.

JM2145

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 06:41:46 PM »
To add to this, the distribution method i.e. Dense, Full isn't retained when you Save Selected a Forest and then merge into a new scene.

Mine appears to change from Full to Dense - although that wasn't the cause of the initial problem

JM2145

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 06:52:23 PM »
Save Selected seems to be the culprit for a lot of the issues.

If you open a scene and save selected out a Forest, then merge it into a new scene, the distribution method (dense, full) is NOT retained.

If you open a clean scene and then merge directly from the other scene (avoiding save selected) the distribution method is retained.

So it appears to be that if you save selected anything that's come from forest pack, then it doesn't save properly/corrupts somewhere during the process

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 12:03:04 PM »
Hi.

I'm sorry to hear, you're facing these troubles. Would you mind specifying the used 3ds max & FP versions? Upon our tests here, the Save Selected… operation saves the used Distribution Map correctly. Thanks in advance for any further comments on this issue you can share about it with us / our user community (in case some user(s) will run into similar troubles).

Best regards,