Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Mirroring in custom edit mode  (Read 522 times)

Rhodesy

Mirroring in custom edit mode
« on: January 25, 2023, 01:36:42 PM »
Is it possible to mirror an object in custom edit mode? For example a placed person model without having to duplcate that model, flipping, then loading that in to FP. I can't seem to find that option.

Also when selecting a few placed objects, is it possible to rotate them as a group rather than them just spinning on their own axis? It doesnt seem to matter if the usual way of selecting 'view' or 'world' over 'local' is selected.

Finally, as a request, can we have a way to adjust the starting Z rotation of imported items? For example, you might have some long wind blown grass facing one way and the the next imported item blowing the other way. It would be nice to be able to adjust the second one to be facing the same direction as the first without tracking the object down in the forest_templates layer.

Thanks
Rob

RealViz

Re: Mirroring in custom edit mode
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 02:22:12 PM »
Just transform item with "-100%" scale in X-axys.

Rhodesy

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 02:39:19 PM »
Thanks for the tip. That seems to work. It gives the appearance that its flipping the normals as well (going a darker shade of red) but, on the test person I've rendered I cant see any issues in the actual rendering. reflection pass also seems good. Thanks again

RealViz

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 02:42:00 PM »
I use thit "trick" for long time and no render issue - V-ray. If you apply the mirror directly in the 3dsmax environment it also flip normals ;-)

Rhodesy

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 02:46:26 PM »
Great. Thanks. Hoping they could just build that in as a button in FP. Doesnt seem like it would take much to create a macro for that.

CM1251

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 02:16:00 PM »
You could turn on Enable Horizontal Mirror at the bottom of the Transform Tab. Then when you place your actor, hit reseed (under Items Editor) on that single item a few times until they flip the way you want. You may have to re-rotate them around so they face the right direction.

If you continue to use that other mirroring trick with the negative X or Y values, be sure to throw a Normal modifier on the asset and check ON Flip Normals.

Rhodesy

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 02:23:55 PM »
Thanks! The re-seed version with the horizontal mirror works a treat. And visually the normals remain correct. I thought the horizontal mirror option would only work when in generate mode rather than individual items, so good that we can mirror things easily, if not obviously.

CM1251

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 03:18:05 PM »
Glad to hear it works for you  :)