Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Re-orderable surface list  (Read 2018 times)

George

Re-orderable surface list
« on: November 29, 2013, 02:19:30 AM »
Seeing as the surface order matters, could we get a moveup/movedown button (or dragdrop)?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Re-orderable surface list
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »
The surface order should not matter. What is the problem exactly ?
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

George

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:45:48 AM »
I've sent you an example file via email. Note that this only matters when you're in Custom Edit mode.

If you clear the surface list and add the terrain first, then the other two solid objects, the teapots will stay on the terrain. If you add the top solid object, then the other, then the terrain, it will do as expected.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »
Thanks for the file. I can confirm the problem in Custom Edit mode.

Currently it's not possible to change order of the surfaces. I add your suggestion to the to-do list.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

George

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:35:24 AM »
I'm guessing that you're optimizing things by raycasting against each surface, in order, and if theres a hit it skips the remaining surfaces (even if they're above the current one). Whatever the cast, in many circumstances all I (and possibly others) want is to have the instances placed on the highest surface, so that if some structure is sitting on top of terrain, the items should be on that rather than the terrain below. Perhaps there could be an option/toggle to place on the highest point, rather than on the first ray hit.

I've attached an image to demonstrate.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:57:46 AM »
Yes, that's exactly the problem. We are evaluating if would be better to use always the highest surface, to avoid adding more parameters. Although this may change existing scenes, i think this should be the logic choice.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software