Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Using closed Splines as if they were open Splines  (Read 1729 times)

AldingerWolf

Using closed Splines as if they were open Splines
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
Hi,

quick question: is there a possibility to use close splines as if they were open?
I have a forest set up with closed splines. The forest also uses a distribution surface.
For the edge of the Forest I would now like to make a second forest Object with some undergrowth. I only need the undergrowth at the edge of the Forest though. There is no need for it to be within the forest.

Can I do this by using my already existing forest-splines (the closed ones - I didn't find a setting for this) or do I have to make a copy of those splines an brake them (as a workaround)?
I'd prefer if there would be a function for this because in that case I would only need to edit one spline if I decide to change the border of my forest.

Thank you in advance,
Christian

yuv

• Administrator
  • iToo Software - CEO
    • Itoo Software
Re: Using closed Splines as if they were open Splines
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 07:32:27 PM »
Unfortunately there is not options in the UI to select the behaviour of splines as open/closed. To use a single spline to define a edge area, you can add it as an additional area, and  use the "Spline Falloff" parameter to restrict to edges:

http://www.itoosoft.com/forestpack/reference/refarea.php

This option allows control using the density curves, giving you more control than open splines. A good example of this technique can be seen in the track creation of "Modern Barn" tutorial:

http://www.itoosoft.com/tutorials/tutorial_modernbarn2.php
Daniel Quintero
Itoo Software
www.itoosoft.com
daniel@itoosoft.com

AldingerWolf

Re: Using closed Splines as if they were open Splines
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »
just tested this. This does work to some extend if you play around with the falloff include/exclude paramters. But It's a lot more tedious then using open splines so I'll just make a copy of my splines and break them. Seems easier.
If I have to change them I can always apply an instanced edit spline to both of the curves.