Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: edge mode problem  (Read 2316 times)

rivoli

edge mode problem
« on: May 31, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »
hi, I'm having a bit of a problem with edge mode trying to distribute elements into a specific spline area. the elements are square patches that slightly overlap without any kind of transformation (rotation, scale, translation), and supposedly should conform to the spline shape. as you can see from the attachment it kind of works, but not quite. admittedly I'm not familiar with edge mode, so I'm probably overlooking something simple, but some elements seem to work just fine (items inside those element are correctly trimmed along the spline), while other elements are removed completely.
is this how edge mode is supposed to work, or am I doing something wrong?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: edge mode problem
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 11:05:57 AM »
Hi,

The Edge Boundary Checking mode is removing elements within one item that are "based out of area used for distribution" - having any "overhanging faces" under one element, these will be fully removed or not, depending if the element is based inside/outside of the distribution area.

If any gaps appear, a recommendable way to fix these areas would be to adjust Distribution Map settings - Density or Offset X / Y values. That should fix it (as shown on attached screen-shots).

Best regards,

rivoli

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 12:48:35 PM »
hi Michal, thanks for the help.
offsetting does help a bit, but every time an element's pivot happens to be outside the scattering area, the element is discarded completely. if I understand correctly, that's how it's supposed to work. a denser distribution indeed solves the problem, but I'd rather have the elements to only slightly overlap, so I was avoiding it. oh well, if there isn't any other workaround I guess it will have to do..

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 01:08:58 PM »
Hi,

You're welcome. For situations, where because of the size of used item, the Pivot Point of the item is often placed outside of the area, besides of mentioned ways to fix it, it's always possible to use the work-flow explained in the "Grass Edges" tutorial (mixing small / large clumps).

Let me mention, that for both the Lawns and Meadows presets you will see there are two versions for each type, one with a (detail) suffix and another with a (large) suffix.

Best regards,

dylan86.exe

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 02:26:27 AM »
I've always wondered about those. Care to elaborate on what their uses are?
I've always assumed Detail grass is for up close shots where you'll see the blades close to the camera. And the large preset is for exterior shots where the grass isn't solely the focus of the shot. (Maybe a exterior render of a building or something)

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 11:43:52 AM »
Hi,

Both of "detail" & "large" presets are very similar (are based on the same models & materials). To cover large areas (these will suit for most scenarios) is better to use "large" ones as these will create fewer instances and are less taxing for the renderer. "Detail" presets are meant to be used for "tiny / problematic areas" to cover precisely complex shapes. Attaching screen-shots showing size differences.

Best regards,