Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Scripting a ForestPro that is linked to an AutoCAD dwg?  (Read 1359 times)

QM3423

Scripting a ForestPro that is linked to an AutoCAD dwg?
« on: October 22, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
I am using a AutoCAD drawing that I am "linking" into 3DS Max.  The drawing contains a variety of AutoCAD block symbols that represent trees.  So in 3DS Max I have a linked DWG file with three or four different tree symbols and many instances of each tree symbol.

I then create a forestpro object and I use the custom edit function and I select the AutoCAD linked symbols as "reference objects".  That all works just fine.

However, I am trying to automate forestpro so if I make a variety of changes in the AutoCAD file (for example moving the AutoCAD tree blocks or placing additional AutoCAD tree blocks) I would like to have a maxscript button that basically tells forestpro to update itself with the new references.  Is this possible?  Or do I need to manually go to the reference object select object button and select all of the AutoCAD instances of each time.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Scripting a ForestPro that is linked to an AutoCAD dwg?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:29:36 AM »
I'm afraid it's not possible to automatize that process, at least using Creation Tools. For example, if the number of blocks changes, there is no way to know the name of the new blocks.

Forest provides Maxscript functions to create or delete items in Custom Edit mode, so other option would be to create a script that replicate the behaviour of Creation Tool, but that is not a simple task.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software