Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Need to convert Forest into a Mesh - not working for certain Grass types  (Read 1957 times)

3dvisuals.co.uk

I've got a 750mm square grass 'pot' and a couple of 750x375mm grass 'pots' with grass in them.

I will be animating the pots they sit in (i.e. the pots are going to move), so I need to convert the grasses to Editable Meshes first before I do that so that the grasses follow their pots.

When I make the first step of changing the FPP viewport appearance from Point-Cloud to Mesh, the middle one's edge boundary *looks* wrong - yet it renders correctly (i.e. it renders the that Boundary Edge Rule as being 'Obeyed').

Please can you advise because if I do then apply the Convert to Editable Mesh (right-click on the Quad Menu), then that grass in the middle pot, with the broken boundary rule, is then baked as an incorrect grass patch and then of course it does render with that grass spilling outside of the pot's boundary.......

For information, it's one of the presets - Cut Grass 03.

Please can you advise ?

Many thanks.

Rokas

I will be animating the pots they sit in (i.e. the pots are going to move), so I need to convert the grasses to Editable Meshes first before I do that so that the grasses follow their pots.
Don't convert to mesh. Instead turn ForestPAck to Custom Edit Mode:

And then Link it to Your surface.

Hope this helps.
Rokas

3dvisuals.co.uk

Hi Rokas,

That still didn't work.

Please can you confirm that you did that with the Cut Grass 03 preset ?

That's the one I have issues with here (the other grass presets I use don't exhibit this problem)

Many thanks.

Rokas

Yes, Cut 03. Attached file.
Rokas

3dvisuals.co.uk

Hi Rokas,

The planes my grass are on will rotate in my animation to NOT be horizontal.

I believe the grass will always attempt to remain vertical ??

I don't want that.

Please can you tell me how I can prevent the grass remaining vertical - I simply want it to rotate along with whatever it is linked to.

Many thanks.

Rokas

As I understand this is how You want in the previously attached scene:

What You want differently from what is here:
Rokas

3dvisuals.co.uk

I believe the solution is to set the Direction to "Normal" (under Surfaces Rollout)