Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: new FP7 - having trouble with it  (Read 1262 times)

VanessaO

new FP7 - having trouble with it
« on: March 31, 2021, 10:17:13 AM »
Hi

Yesterday I sent an email to helpdesk as I had not yet access to write in this forum in which I wrote " Basically everything was working fine until I updated FP today to the latest version. Now, nothing is working. I even opened an working file where I used the previous version of FP and nothing it working anymore. Please help because I was supposed to work on my previous scenes and now I can't."

see my short video i sent yesterday: https://www.screencast.com/t/sGgUhCQspDr5

Today I got a reply from itoo software with the following reply :

"Thanks for contacting iToo Software and for your confidence in our plug-ins.

Upon the provided video, you're creating the Forest object in the Icon mode (which is helpful to directly access the Items Editor rollout to place items in the Custom Edit mode or to use other modes that don't require Spline or Surface Area(s) (like the Reference and Particle Flow modes). If you're interested to assign directly the Spline / Surface Area, you should use the Generate mode instead - in the Generate mode, items are created randomly within the regions defined in the Areas rollout according to the Distribution rules.

I hope that helps and in case of any question(s) or doubt(s), please don't hesitate to contact us. Have a great day."

My reply to this email this morning:

"Thanks you the swift reply.

The new forest pack has only 2 modes now compared to the last version. The first mode I tried, “generate” made many trees. I had not created a spline. I just wanted to put one tree on a plane. That’s all. It was not working. Then I tried the Icon mode and get the F on the plane and no where can I find a video TUT explaining how to handle the F at all. All text tuts are heavy and still don’t address in a clear manner how to handle this F icon. Obviously it can be turned into a mesh? I don’t know. Nothing is intuitive at the moment.

•   I would so highly appreciate if you can show in a screencast video how you place 1 single tree on a plane with the new FP7. (I beg you 😊)
•   Should I choose the Icon mode how to handle this? What to do? Again a shot video demonstration would be the most efficient. Long text explanation don’t do the job.

I am very frustrated, so I removed FP7 and went to the old version for now which gave me the opportunity to test if I had an issue with the FP6 version. But like I said under the FP creation mode we have 3 choices as opposed to 2 in the new version.

I am a total newbie at FP and I must say that FP new set up is not intuitive for new beginners like me. There are barely no tutorials for new beginners on this. All the new mini tuts from Itoo software go very quickly around the new update. It looks like Itoo software is running out of breath when going through this.

Final question, ok let’s say I will reinstall FP7 and still have trouble with it, how many times can I uninstall and reinstall btw the last version and new version? And what other support can you provide? Because now am totally frustrated new beginner."

Please help! I basically just need a short video demonstration on how to add 1 tree, only 1 on a plane. No scattering, nothing, just 1 and show where you click and which menu you are in.  And now if I reinstall FP7 and still can't have only 1 tree in my scene, can I again once more uninstall FP7 and go back to FP6? (like how many times can I uninstall and reinstall btw the 2 versions) and what other support does Itoo provide should I still not be able to create 1 single tree in my scene (not scatter) and it won't render?  I mean i had no trouble with FP6 ...

Many thanks :-)

Vanessa

Thank you!

Rokas

Re: new FP7 - having trouble with it
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 10:53:41 AM »
Hi. I am sorry for the confusion. I will try to explain the simplest I can.

Generate mode:
You are Creating ForestPack distribution by clicking on the surface(mesh object) /area (spline object) You want to scatter.

Icon mode:
You are creating Empty Distribution- no surfaces, no areas are assigned. If You see orange F icon- You need to add surface and areas for FP to generate items, OR You go to custom edit mode and place items manually.

Hope this helps.
Rokas

VanessaO

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 11:44:05 AM »
Hi

Thanks. But if I want to create only 1 tree on a plane. Only 1, no more. Can I then use the generate button? Because when I tried it yesterday, I had selected only 1 tree (with generate mode) and it created many trees all over the place on my plane.

I got 2 GiF from customer support this morning via email. In the generate mode, he chose 1 model and then I see 2 trees added on the plane. How can it be if he chose 1 model? Then under the Items editor he switched from Generate to Custom Edit then then we see 3 items in object. Why 3, where is the number 3 coming from?

See my screencast video. Sorry for the "long video".

Also due to massive frustration yesterday I reverted to the old Forest Pack. Now if I want to install again the new Forest Pack version, it is better to uninstall Forest Pack 6 and then install Forest Pack 7? Yesterday I just clicked run exe for the FP 7 version.

How many times can I install and reinstall FP on my PC? Because if I am having trouble again with FP7 for sure I will want to revert back to the older version.

Thank you for your help

Vanessa

VanessaO

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 11:45:08 AM »
Opps forgot to add the link

https://www.screencast.com/t/8wI5kXOJ6ic

Rokas

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 11:51:29 AM »
You can add one tree with either Generate more or Custom Edit.

Do You know location where You want that tree? If so- custom edit mode is the way.
Rokas

VanessaO

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 11:59:59 AM »
Hi

Ok thanks.

How many times can I install and reinstall FP on my PC? Because if I am having trouble again with FP7 for sure I will want to revert back to the older version.

Vanessa

Rokas

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 12:06:09 PM »
Hi. Please let us help You with FP7. Let us know the problems You are having.

Also one note- ForestObjects created with FP7 are not compatible with FP6. So it is not recommended to downgrade the software.
Apart that You can install/uninstall/reinstall FP6/FP7 as often as You like.
Rokas

VanessaO

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 12:15:38 PM »
Hi Rokas

Ok tx for that info. So when redoing my scenes with FP6 I should delete the trees from FP6 and create new ones with FP7. Shame it is not compatible because some people may want to rework old scenes from some weeks or months ago and this means starting again from scratch.

Now in my screencast I had 2 questions:

Question 1: Why does the size of the tree change when using different modes? Same tree, different modes, but tree shows up different size. Why?

Question 2: Why when I make a large place does the icon F show when I want to add a tree but not on a small plane?

thank you for your help and patience. Very much appreciated.

Vanessa

Rokas

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 01:52:07 PM »
Hi, Vanessa
Hi Rokas

Ok tx for that info. So when redoing my scenes with FP6 I should delete the trees from FP6 and create new ones with FP7. Shame it is not compatible because some people may want to rework old scenes from some weeks or months ago and this means starting again from scratch.

It is the opposite. newer FP7 can open older FP6 files.  No need to recreate FP6 objects in FP7.

Few notes. FP was not generating items, just displayed F logo, because plane wast too small.
Don't use scale tool to make plane bigger. Or if You do so, reset XForm.

At this point You should press Add button

Question 1: Why does the size of the tree change when using different modes? Same tree, different modes, but tree shows up different size. Why?
Because You scaled plane object. You can go to element mode and scale plane element, but not the whole object. If You do that You need to reset xform.
Popular mistake. That is how Max works.

Question 2: Why when I make a large place does the icon F show when I want to add a tree but not on a small plane?
Same problem, don't use scale tool to scale plane objects.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:55:36 PM by Rokas »
Rokas

VanessaO

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 03:27:14 PM »
Ah ok tx

Rokas

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 02:23:28 PM »
We just released a quick video tutorial about custom mode. Hope You will find it useful.
Rokas

VanessaO

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 04:43:12 PM »
Hi Rokas, Ah super, I will have a look at it :-) Thanks

KQ8229

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 08:37:21 PM »
Ok so before I could just generate multiple trees at specifik places where I click the mouse and then pick objekt in library. Wery easy.

Now I have to:
Place icon - go to geometry - pick objekt in library - Go to item editor - Custom the tree - click yes - go to add item - start clicking the places I want a tree.....

I would like the software to be more efficient not less..

VanessaO

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 11:43:51 PM »
totally agree.... that's why i reverted back to FP6 as i see that there are a lot of bugs with FP7 version

KQ8229

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 06:33:45 PM »
I also reverted back to FP6 now!!