Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Noise map used for Transform not updating  (Read 1231 times)

QE2393

Noise map used for Transform not updating
« on: March 14, 2016, 08:01:50 PM »
I have a noise map being used to control the probability map of Transform/Translation of a Forest Pack object.  (I want to vary the Z transform).

If I change the Noise map's coordinates from explicit, to world, to object, it always renders the same pattern with no changes.

If I change the size of the noise map, it still renders the same pattern with no changes .

Why can't I get this noise map to behave in a controllable way?  I have no ability to adjust the sizing of the pattern.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Noise map used for Transform not updating
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 11:23:33 AM »
Hi,

Unfortunately, it's known issue, that 3ds Max is not always showing procedural maps correctly in the view-port. To match the Noise map (any procedural map) used as the Distribution map in the Forest object, it should be aligned to object (for use of the Object XYZ) or to the world's coordinate center to match World XYZ. Attaching screenshots.

Changing the Size value should affect the distribution correspondingly. If it's not so, I would suggest you to adjust the Distribution Map - Threshold value (that defines the conversion to black/white levels).

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

QE2393

Re: Noise map used for Transform not updating
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 10:30:07 PM »
This is not the problem.  It's not an issue of viewport display, nor does it involve distribution. It's an issue of rendering and the Transform/Translate property.

I adjusted the Noise size, and coordinate systems in various ways -- but the rendering of the forest pack object never changed.  It did not respect any edits I made to the noise map, except the threshold values.