Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Migrating User Library?  (Read 4039 times)

c0cllc

Migrating User Library?
« on: October 13, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »
Hi,

i'm going to move from Max Desin 2012 to Max Design 2013. I have configured a lot of own libraries in terms of connecting specific max-objects to the coresponding jpg-files. It was really a lot of work when i did that i the past. Now when moving to 2013, would it be necessary to re-do all that work? Or can i somehow export all the information an import it into Forrest after moving to 2013?

Thanks in advance

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Migrating User Library?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »

If the library is stored in the "User's Libraries" branch, it is not necessary to do anything, since this folder is shared for all Max instances.

In any case, be sure your libraries are not stored in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Itoo Software\Forest Pack Pro\lib", because this folder would be rewritten if Forest is reinstalled. In old Forest versions it was possible to create libraries here, but now is locked to read only.

You can see the location of each library selecting it and right clicking->Open In Shell. Also it is a good idea to make backup of them.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

c0cllc

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 09:42:11 AM »
Thanks. So i upgraded to 3ds max 2013, but now i have problems with the library (although it's there, it's not deleted). Even for my HQGrass i had to manually point to the directory, where the *.max files are. Some libs are ok, others just show a black window. Check the screenshot. May it be a problem, that my Forrest on Max Design 2012 was 3.8.1? Maybe i should have first updated Forrest on Max 2012 to update the library and the install 2013?...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:49:10 AM by c0cllc »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »

Please, select the library and right click->Open in Shell. Next, send us a screenshot of the folder to see what files contains.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

c0cllc

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »
Screenshots attached - that's what all those folders look like. As mentioned - they all worked before the upgrade. The thumbnails folder contains all the necessary thumbnails and the index.xml points to the right folders containing the *.max files.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:09:57 AM by c0cllc »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »

Yes, everythings seems correct.

Please, make a zip with the content of this folder and send it to support@itoosoft.com. We will check it here.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

c0cllc

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
I just sent to you the content of both libraries (folders) which give me problems. Thanks in advance!

yuv

• Administrator
  • iToo Software - CEO
    • Itoo Software
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »

We found the problem, it is related to xml saving that generate invalid utf8 codes for non-ascii characters. We will fix this on the next plugin version.

A workaround for this problem is to open with any text editor and saving it in uft8 format. I sent a corrected version of your libraries by e-mail.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:20:38 PM by iToo »
Daniel Quintero
Itoo Software
www.itoosoft.com
daniel@itoosoft.com

c0cllc

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »
Thanks, the libs you sent back to me work perfectly!

I still have another lib for testing which i didn't send to you and i tried the UTF8-mod on it: but it didn't work. Seems notepad is not the right tool for this, or is there any special ways to save the file? I just changed the coding in notepad to UTF-8 but this dind't help. I guess i'm just doing it the wrong way...

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:27:58 PM »
We used Programmer's Notepad, in the following way:

1) Open the XML
2) Set File->Encoding->UTF-8 No Mark
3) Save the file

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

c0cllc