Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Linking Distrubition Size? Or Different randomise controls per geo?  (Read 582 times)

OC1963

Hey all,

I'm building some sets at the moment and wondering the best approach to a particular problem for randomisation and ease of hotswapping assets of office/cafe type arrangements.

Following the standard scattering groups method that Rokas shared a few years back (link below (and where has the time gone  :o)) I can build premade arrangements in the simplest form as groups and using a noise map get that working, however in cases where in the example scene I have, I want a small rotation on the chairs (e.g -5 to 5) but a complete 360 randomisation of the table and or decor assets to avoid more obvious repetition.

One idea to circumnavigate this and for ease of quickly swapping out assets in the sets, e.g quickly changing the chairs etc, was to break it into 3 FP sets. 1 for the Chairs, 1 for the Tables and 1 for the Decor sets, the decor with a Z offset to match table height. This allows me to control the randomisation of the asset types however a few issues here. The distribution size for each has to be the same to align correctly and I don't know of a way to link the distribution size? And invariable when I need in production to switch to custom item edit to tweak the placements of a few, it would mean adjusting 3 FPs, not impossible but takes more time. Otherwise would be great if there was a per geometry randomisation controls in the FP to keep all as one FP object.

Image attached of simple scene setup with above setups.

I could solve all of my problems by just building the logic in railclone which would also allow me to export the table Z height and fix paramterically with the flexibility to change asset types more easily however I still perhaps miss the custom item edit mode there short of instantitiating the geometry once the base scatter is sorted and then tweak and rebuild the RC later if necessary.

https://forum.itoosoft.com/forest-pro-(*)/scattering-groups-5300/

If anyone has a better suggestion on a way to setup please do let me know,

Thanks in advance,
Matt

OC1963

Re: Linking Distrubition Size? Or Different randomise controls per geo?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 12:43:16 PM »
Ok, I think after testing, Railclone wins here for flexibility. Built a quick system and I can just use conditionals or handplace a few if I need or tweak splines to suit. So... ignore me  ;D

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 02:11:38 PM »
Excellent - I was going to suggest that RailClone is much better suited for this task. You can always use clipping splines to remove items from areas where they're not needed too!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

OC1963

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 06:45:03 PM »
Thanks Paul, ues clipping area is a nice use too! I think I was just being a bit dense on a Friday morning...  Next trick is to parametrically adjust the number of chairs around the table but one for when I have a little more time