Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: multi-sub object materials  (Read 9025 times)

ST7039

multi-sub object materials
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:46:46 PM »
We have found some problems, and need your help.

Below is a list of our problems:

1. When we use custom edit mode, we have a problem assigning materials.

2. When we create multi-sub object materials and we assign it to the group of planes, it only shows the first ID in the multi-sub object material.

3. When we try to change the material ID of a single plane, it does not change to the material assigned, It stays on 1.
The old plug-in "planes" allows me to assign different material ID's easily.

Thanks
Tzahi

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: multi-sub object materials
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:28:19 PM »

In Forest 3 you don't have to use multi-sub materials or to handle the material IDs manually. Instead this, you must define the properties of each type of tree in the Geometry List (Geometry rollout), and one of these parameters is the material for that plant (that most of times will be a single mat, not a multi-sub !).

Futhermore: don't assign any material to the Forest object. The plugin automatically collects all materials defined in the Geometry List, builds a multi-sub and assign to itself. The material IDs are handled internally as well.

These links may clarify some points:

http://www.itoosoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=148.0
http://www.itoosoft.com/english/menu.php?id=forest_changesfrom2

Why have we changed the material system ? Basically because now you can define tree models which use multimaterials (as instance mat ID 1 for trunk and mat ID 2 for leaves). This is specially useful for custom meshes/proxies, and it was not possible in Forest 2.

In the custom edit mode, the ID is refered to elements of the Geometry List, not to material IDs.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Pierre

• Studiosezz
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:04:47 PM »
Ok but is-it possible to use only once each bitmap ?

I have to make a crowd whith 50 bitmaps of people, and i don't want to see twice the same bitmap. Should I create  as many item as i have bitmap manually ?
Studiosezz PARIS
www.studiosezz.com

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:44:15 AM »
Ok but is-it possible to use only once each bitmap ?

No, is not possible to do it automatically. You would to change Forest to Custom Edit mode and edit the IDs of the duplicated items, but this is a manual process.

I have to make a crowd whith 50 bitmaps of people, and i don't want to see twice the same bitmap. Should I create  as many item as i have bitmap manually ?

Yes, but i just created a script that may help you:

To install the script:

1. Copy the MultiSubToForest.ms file to <maxdir>\scripts\startup
2. Run 3ds max
3. Create a new toolbar (Customize User Interface), and drag the macroscript MultiToFO3 from "Itoo Software" category to the toolbar.

To use it:

1. Create a multi-sub material containing all bitmaps
2. Create a box and assign the multi-sub to it
3. With the box selected, run the script "MultiToFO3"
4. It will create an empty Forest 3 with the Geometry List filled, one item by each material in the multi-sub

Also remember that you can create and organize your own items in the Library Browser, defining materials, sizes and other properties.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Pierre

• Studiosezz
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:13:42 PM »
thank you a lot ! You save my time !
you are really great !

Pierre
Studiosezz PARIS
www.studiosezz.com