Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Scattering Cars & tint  (Read 1200 times)

Macker

Scattering Cars & tint
« on: October 11, 2016, 03:55:04 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm using 12 high poly cars to scatter around a scene and want to use the forest colour map to change the colours of the cars, as per the tutorial. The only issue being that because the cars are high poly, just loading a single one into forest pro becomes arduous, so I've had to switch to proxies which work infinitely better in this scenario.

I was wondering given that forest pro will scatter groups whether it might be prudent to convert all of the cars to proxies EXCEPT for their bodywork (which needs to change colour) and group the resulting proxy + bodywork together and scatter those? Would this work?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Scattering Cars & tint
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:16:12 PM »
Hi,

Groups are supported, but for a different feature: to create clusters of objects that must be scattered together (e.g. clumps of grass and flowers). In this case, each item is handled as an independent item. You can see an example of use in the Forest 4 demo reel.

As mentioned in our on-line reference guide: "Do not use groups for objects that must be handled as a unique object (for example a tree and its leaves). In this case, attach all the individual parts into single mesh."

Actually, all objects which must be handled as an unique entity (as trees), all group objects have to be attached in a unique mesh.
"... just loading a single one into forest pro becomes arduous, so I've had to switch to proxies which work infinitely better in this scenario ..."
Well, Forest should handle even really high poly models easily. Please feel free to send us your scene to have a look at them here. Thanks in advance.

Best regadrs,

Macker

Re: Scattering Cars & tint
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 05:10:54 PM »
Oh it's handling heavy/high poly trees and such absolutely fine - but not the cars for some reason. They take aaaages to add to forest pro as geometry. It's just various evermotion cars collapsed into a single mesh.